Mastering Cal 1 Physics: Solving Problems with Speed, Acceleration, and Distance

• Thread starter Zandorian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, we discussed three problems involving motion and using kinematical equations to solve for unknowns. The first problem involved finding the time it takes for a passenger plane to come to rest given its initial velocity and acceleration. The second problem involved finding the distance traveled by a train while coming to a stop given its initial velocity and time. The third problem involved finding the maximum height reached by a rock thrown upward given its initial velocity. It is important to understand the definitions of terms such as acceleration and velocity and to use the appropriate kinematical equation to solve for the unknown variable.
Zandorian
If you guys can help me with this I would appreciate it.

1. A passenger plane lands with a speed of 98m/s and accelerates at -7.0m/(s^2). After how many s does it come to rest?

2. A train moving at 32.0 m/s brakes to a stop in 22.0 s. How far in m did it move while coming to a stop?

3. A rock is thrown upward with a speed of 23m/s. What maximum height in m does it reach before falling back to earth?

I need to know how to do these problems as well as the answers.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
First you need to know some basic definitions: How is "acceleration" DEFINED?

Do you know any formulas connecting distance and acceleration?

avg or inst Accel?

no, don't think so

v=at+v0

You have your initial velocity (v0) and your acceleration. You want to see how many seconds it will take for the plane to stop. That is, how long will it take until v=0? I think you can do the rest...

Also:

s=.5at2+v0t+s0

Last edited:
no, i can't.

do i need to find the inst acc and inst vel at v0?

v0 is the speed that the train is moving at when it begins to brake.

what about at?

apmcavoy said:
v0 is the speed that the train is moving at when it begins to brake.
TRAIN, i thought u were heliping me with the 1st one. lol

anyone want to give me the complete solution to the first or second problem?

i really need help here guys....i don't under stand what I am supposed to plug into the equation. I see them in my textbook, but I don't understand what the stand for

Zandorian said:
anyone want to give me the complete solution to the first or second problem?

We don't do that here. You are supposed to show how you started and where you got stuck, and then we help you, not do it for you.

Please read the notice at the top of this Forum.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=4825

Tom Mattson said:
We don't do that here. You are supposed to show how you started and where you got stuck, and then we help you, not do it for you.

Please read the notice at the top of this Forum.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=4825

I just want you to explain it not do it for me.

Zandorian said:
I just want you to explain it not do it for me.

Then why did you ask for a complete solution?

Look, give it a shot and see what you come up with. You've got a short list of kinematical equations in your book (which you have read, right?). You should be able to at least try to figure out what the given information is (time, acceleration, initial velocity, etc...) and figure out what the unknown is for each part. Then you can search your list of equations for the correct one that relates what you've been given to what is being asked for. There will only be one in each instance.

Zandorian said:
TRAIN, i thought u were heliping me with the 1st one. lol

I was referring to the second one, but the same holds true for the plane when it lands...

Tom Mattson said:
Then why did you ask for a complete solution?

Look, give it a shot and see what you come up with. You've got a short list of kinematical equations in your book (which you have read, right?). You should be able to at least try to figure out what the given information is (time, acceleration, initial velocity, etc...) and figure out what the unknown is for each part. Then you can search your list of equations for the correct one that relates what you've been given to what is being asked for. There will only be one in each instance.

I don't understand WHAT they stand for
just tell me what they stand for

a=acceleration
vf= final velocity
vi=initial velocity
xf=final position
xi=initial position
t=time

IS THE ANswer 14? to the 1st one

Yes, it is. Just don't forget that the answer includes its units.

1. What is "Physics with cal 1 probs"?

Physics with cal 1 probs refers to the study of physics concepts and principles using calculus-based methods. It combines the concepts of physics with the mathematical tools of calculus to solve complex problems and analyze physical phenomena.

2. What topics are typically covered in "Physics with cal 1 probs"?

Some common topics covered in Physics with cal 1 probs include kinematics, forces, energy, momentum, and rotational motion. Other topics may include thermodynamics, waves, electricity, and magnetism.

3. Why is calculus used in "Physics with cal 1 probs"?

Calculus is used in Physics with cal 1 probs because it allows us to describe and analyze the behavior of physical systems in a more precise and accurate way. It also provides a way to solve complex problems that cannot be solved with basic algebra and trigonometry.

4. Is "Physics with cal 1 probs" only for advanced students?

No, "Physics with cal 1 probs" is not just for advanced students. While a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry is necessary, students can learn and understand calculus-based physics with proper guidance and practice.

5. How can I prepare for "Physics with cal 1 probs"?

To prepare for "Physics with cal 1 probs", it is recommended to have a solid understanding of algebra and trigonometry. It would also be helpful to review basic calculus concepts such as derivatives and integrals. Additionally, practicing problem-solving techniques and familiarizing yourself with physics principles can also help in preparing for the course.