Physics - work done by a spring

In summary, a 4.90 kg block collides with a horizontal spring with a spring constant of 437 N/m, causing the spring to compress a maximum distance of 6.50 cm. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the surface is 0.190. To find the work done by the spring in bringing the block to rest, one can use the formula W=(1/2)kx^2, which yields a result of -0.923 J. This is because the work done by the elastic force is the negative of the elastic potential energy. The work done by friction is also a negative value, -0.594 J, and the initial velocity of the block is +0.787 m
Felix83
A moving 4.90 kg block collides with a horizontal spring whose spring constant is 437 N/m.

The block compresses the spring a maximum distance of 6.50 cm from its rest position. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the horizontal surface is 0.190. What is the work done by the spring in bringing the block to rest?

The Part after that is to find the work done by friction, which I got correct. The last part is to find the initial velocity of the block, I could just add the work done by friction and the spring and then solve for v with the KE formula.

However, I can't seem to find the work done by the spring to bring the block to rest. Wouldn't you just use the formula W=(1/2)kx^2 ? I used that and got 0.923 J, which the program says is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
Obviously there has to be a minus in the result,so it should be -0.923J.Indeed,to me,that seems to be the answer,the dork done by the elastic force acting on the body is - the elastic potential energy...
Weird,maybe something is evading my senses,but,for now,i'd say that's the correct result.

Daniel.

Appears that {Work Done By Spring}=(-0.923 J), {Work Done by Friction}=(-0.594 J), and {Initial Velocity}=(+0.787 m/sec) should be correct.

~~

yea those are the numbers i got too, but i put the friction in as positive and it said correct so i figured since the spring was pushing in the same direction it would be positive too. but these problems are dumb sometimes so i tried negative 0.923 and of course that was right. :grumpy:

What is the definition of work done by a spring?

The work done by a spring is the amount of energy or force exerted on an object as the spring is stretched or compressed. It is measured in joules (J).

How is the work done by a spring calculated?

The work done by a spring can be calculated by multiplying the force exerted by the spring (F) by the distance the spring is stretched or compressed (x). This can be represented by the equation W = F * x.

What factors affect the work done by a spring?

The work done by a spring is affected by the force exerted by the spring and the distance it is stretched or compressed. It is also affected by the stiffness of the spring, which is determined by its spring constant (k).

What is Hooke's Law and how does it relate to the work done by a spring?

Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed. This means that as the spring stretches or compresses, the force exerted by the spring also changes. This relationship is important in calculating the work done by a spring.

Can the work done by a spring be negative?

Yes, the work done by a spring can be negative. This occurs when the force exerted by the spring is in the opposite direction of the displacement of the object it is acting on. In this case, the work done by the spring is considered to be negative because the force and displacement are in opposite directions.