1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PHYSICS work/power/energy question

1. Oct 7, 2005 #1
    8. For each statement, write true or false.
    A)only the net force acting on an object can do work.
    i think its TRUE.
    B)no work is done on a particle that remains at rest.
    i think its TRUE.
    C)a force that is always perpendicular to the velocity of a particle never does work on the particle.
    i think its TRUE.

^ please correct me if im wrong.. ^ thx.

6. A particle of mass m moves along the x axis. Its position varies with time according to x=2t^3 + 4t^2 where x is in meters and t is in seconds.
    B)find the power delivered to the particle at any time t.
    C)the work done by the force from t=0 to t=11
    im guessing i have to integrate the equation 2t^3 + 4t^2 with 11 on top right of the integration sign and 0 on the bottom of the integration sign.
    any comment will be hhelpful. thx in advance!

10. If a ski lift raises 100 passengers averaging 660N in weight to a height of 150m in 60s, at constant speed, what average power is required of the force making the lift?
    I got P = W/t = mgh/t = 660N*150m/60s = 1650W = 1.6kW
    did i do this right?
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think about two equal and opposite forces compressing a volume of gas. The net force is 0. But there is work done ([itex]W=P\Delta V[/itex]).
    See example above.
    True. Since [itex]W = \int \vec{F}\cdot \vec{s} = \int F\cdot \vec{v} dt = \int Fvdt cos\theta[/itex] if [itex]\theta[/itex] is always 90 degrees, then W = 0.

Use [itex]P = dW/dt = Fds/dt = Fv = mav = m\ddot x \dot x[/itex]
    See suggestion in B)

The work done in raising 100 passengers is W=mgh where mg = 100*660N and h = 150 m. So the correct answer is 165000 W. or 165 kW.

4. Oct 10, 2005 #3
    um.. mg = 660 m^2/s^2.. then multiply this by h=150m. I dont understand how you could put 100 as its mass...
  5. Oct 10, 2005 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

660 N is the weight of one person (average). There are 100 people. So the total weight is 100*660.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?