1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics work problem

1. Nov 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 0.179 kg ball is thrown straight up from 1.94 m above the ground. Its initial vertical speed is 10.00 m/s. A short time later, it hits the ground. Calculate the total work done by the force of gravity during that time.

m = .179 kg
    vi = 10m/s (upward)
    g = 9.8 m/s2
    d = -1.94 m (since the displacement is downward)

2. Relevant equations

W = Fd
    F = ma

3. The attempt at a solution

This seemed like a simple problem, I'm not sure why it's giving me so much trouble. Basically, I just need to find the force of gravity which I thought was just 9.8 * .179 but I'm clearly missing something.

I tried... W = -1.94 * (9.8 * .179)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2008 #2
    [tex]x_f^2=x_i^2+2ad[/tex], [tex]W=Fd\rightarrow W=mg(x_f^2-x_i^2)/2a[/tex].
  4. Nov 16, 2008 #3
    That doesn't incorporate the initial velocity though does it?

xi = 1.94 m ?
    xf = 0 m ?
  5. Nov 16, 2008 #4
    Ignore asleight's nonsense.

You did almost the correct thing: you chose the displacement as negative (fine, that's just a convention), but then you should take the acceleration due to gravity as negative, too! Both are downward.

And even without thinking about sign conventions: does gravity do positive or negative net work here?
  6. Nov 16, 2008 #5
    I seee, it's positive because it's in the direction of gravity.

Thank you very much sir! :)
  7. Nov 16, 2008 #6
    You're welcome!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?