Understanding Work in Physics: Misconceptions and Correct Approaches

In summary, the first approach of finding the work done by the external agent by multiplying the applied force by the distance it would do work across is incorrect. Instead, the work done by the spring (1/2kx^2) directly should be used. This is because the force of the spring is always changing as it is stretched away from equilibrium.
GarrettB
Hi,

So I was able to answer both of these questions eventually, but the second one gave me some trouble. At first, I tried finding the force that the spring would be applying at that stretched length (3.81cm), knowing that the force done by external agent must be equal and opposite. I then tried multiplying the applied force by the distance it would do work across in order to find the amount of work. Unfortunately this did not work and instead realized I could find the work done by the spring (1/2kx^2) directly instead. I'm wondering, conceptually, why is the first approach wrong? Thanks a lot.

When a 3.89kg mass is hung vertically on a certain light spring that obeys Hooke's law, the spring stretches 2.87cm. If the 3.89kg mass is removed how far will the spring stretch if a 1.48kg is hung on it instead? 1.09×10-2 m

You are correct. Previous Tries
How much work must an external agent do to stretch the spring 3.81cm from its unstretched position? 9.65×10-1 J

Physics news on Phys.org
So imagine you start the spring at equilibrium. Now, slowly start to stretch the spring, is the force the same or is it changing as you move it away from equilibrium? Your technique of force times distance will work (no pun intended), but you have to do a little integration. You should do this integration of the force along the displacement and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the result.

Oh right, the force is always changing. Thanks for the insight!

1. What is the definition of work in physics?

The scientific definition of work in physics is the product of force and displacement in the direction of the force. In simpler terms, work is done when a force is applied to an object and the object moves in the same direction as the force.

2. Is work the same as energy?

No, work and energy are two separate concepts in physics. Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another, while energy is the ability to do work. Work is measured in joules, while energy is measured in various units such as joules, calories, or electron volts.

3. Can work be negative?

Yes, work can be negative. This occurs when the force and displacement are in opposite directions. For example, if you push a book off a table and it falls to the ground, your force is in the downward direction but the displacement is in the upward direction, resulting in negative work.

4. Do all forces do work?

No, not all forces do work. Only forces that result in displacement of an object in the same direction as the force do work. For example, if you push on a wall, the wall exerts a force back on you but does not move, therefore no work is done.

5. How can I calculate work in a real-life scenario?

To calculate work in a real-life scenario, you would need to know the magnitude and direction of the force applied, as well as the distance the object moved in the direction of the force. Then, you can use the formula W = Fd to calculate work, where W is work in joules, F is force in newtons, and d is displacement in meters.