Physicss homework Netwon's law

In summary, the man can only pull the airplane at a limited speed due to the friction between his shoes and the runway.
bulbasaur88
1. A man seeking to set a world record wants to tow a 109,000-kg airplane along a runway by pulling horizontally on a cable attached to the airplane. The mass of the man is 85 kg, and the coefficient of static friction between his shoes and the runway is 0.77. What is the greatest acceleration the man can give the airplane? Assume that the airplane is on wheels that turn without any frictional resistance.

Homework Equations

PLANE --> Tension=mass of plane x acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I set up the equation for the net forces of man. Is force of friction - Tension = mass of man x acceleration the correct equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
This question actually has little to do with tension. You are given the coefficient of friction and so you should be able to find the frictional force the ground can provide. How do you think this limits the way the man can pull the plane? As an limiting situation, think about the scenario situated on a giant ice rink, how would that change things?

bulbasaur88 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I set up the equation for the net forces of man. Is force of friction - Tension = mass of man x acceleration the correct equation?

Yes, it is correct.

ehild

thank u Dr. ehild

if anyone attempts this problem let me kno if u get ~ F = 0.49979 N thanks

Yuqing said:
This question actually has little to do with tension. You are given the coefficient of friction and so you should be able to find the frictional force the ground can provide. How do you think this limits the way the man can pull the plane? As an limiting situation, think about the scenario situated on a giant ice rink, how would that change things?

There is no friction between the airplane and the ground. So it is the tension of the cable that sets it into motion. The cable has to be pulled, no tension otherwise. The man pulls the cable, the cable pulls back the man. The man exerts a backward force on the ground, the ground pushes the man forward. This force can not exceed μmg.
The resultant of the forward force and the tension pulling the man backward is equal to the mass of the man multiplied by the common acceleration of man and airplane .

ehild

There is no friction between the airplane and the ground. So it is the tension of the cable that sets it into motion. The cable has to be pulled, no tension otherwise. The man pulls the cable, the cable pulls back the man. The man exerts a backward force on the ground, the ground pushes the man forward. This force can not exceed μmg.
The resultant of the forward force and the tension pulling the man backward is equal to the mass of the man multiplied by the common acceleration of man and airplane .
I don't see why the plane and man cannot be considered a single system. Tension is treated as an internal force in this case and irrelevant, it just seems simpler to me.

bulbasaur88 said:
if anyone attempts this problem let me kno if u get ~ F = 0.49979 N thanks

What is F? What kind of force? The problem asked the maximum acceleration.

ehild

Yuqing said:
I don't see why the plane and man cannot be considered a single system. Tension is treated as an internal force in this case and irrelevant, it just seems simpler to me.
Yes, the plane and man can considered a single system, and the force of friction on the man is the external force, teh internal ones cancelling out. But it is easier to understand and is no harm to draw free body diagrams, collecting all the forces on the individual masses.

ehild

1. What is Newton's law of motion?

Newton's law of motion states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. What are the three laws of motion in Newton's law?

The three laws of motion in Newton's law are:

• First law: also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will maintain its state of motion unless a force acts upon it.
  • Second law: also known as the law of acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.
  • Third law: also known as the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

3. How do you apply Newton's law to solve problems?

To apply Newton's law of motion, you must first identify the forces acting on an object and their direction. Then, use the second law to calculate the net force on the object. Finally, use the first law to determine the object's motion or the third law to determine the reaction force.

4. Can Newton's law be applied to both moving and stationary objects?

Yes, Newton's law can be applied to both moving and stationary objects. The first law applies to stationary objects, while the second and third laws apply to moving objects.

5. Are there any exceptions to Newton's law of motion?

Yes, there are exceptions to Newton's law of motion, such as in the case of objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light or in the microscopic world of quantum mechanics. However, for most everyday objects and situations, Newton's law of motion holds true.