Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physix c/c++

1. Oct 9, 2008 #1
    i need to learn c/c++ to add effect on 3d objects and to use agia physix engine (like adding gravity , refraction,...etc) and i don't know where to start and what to read and what to learn
    there is so much books and so much programs and lectures (i don't mean the 101 books i mean after that)

so plz some Buddy recommend some books and where to start reading and what to do...

WhERE to start:confused::shy:

i am new on this...:shy:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2008 #2
    do you already know the basics for c and c++?
    ie pointers etc.

if not I can recommend a book i used in my undergrad program.
    It's called "The C Programming Language - 2e" by "Brian Kerningham"

This book helped me..
    If you already know c/c++ try to amazon a book for graphics with C to see some books..

If this reply helped you that's good, if not I am sorry.
  4. Nov 4, 2008 #3
    How about a computer science book on advanced data structures written in C++? Try "Walls and Mirrors" and get the newest C++ (NOT Java) edition. I've found that to be helpful, based on a first-hand experience. For C, there is a book called "C programming in a UNIX Environment", but I wouldn't recommend that for someone who hasn't programmed before as it's geared more towards those who are learning about the C library in UNIX and is best for those who are studying Operating Systems.

But, if you are really wanting to get your money's worth, just go enroll in a university (or some other kind four-year college) and register for computer science courses. Sure, you'll probably have to take intro to programming courses, but at least you'll have real life people who might help you if you get stuck. I emphasize the word "might", because professors, TA's, and GA's aren't always the most patient of people when it comes to helping the inferior ones who don't know how to program.
  5. Nov 5, 2008 #4
    For C/C++ book check out the Thinking in C++, perhaps one of the best books on c++. You may also want to look at Data Structures and Algorithms
    with Object-Oriented Design Patterns in C++

I haven't herd of agia but the Favok engine is pretty good. There is alot of documentation on it. There is also a free license version available online. There is a book for the good havok engine on amazon that goes over all the topics you just asked.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?