Learn C/C++ to Add Effects to 3D Objects with Physics Engines

In summary: It is called "Havok: The Creation of a 3D Game Engine" by Lennart Poettering.In summary, if you are new to programming and want to learn about 3D programming, you should read "The C Programming Langauge - 2e" by "Brian Kerningham" and "Walls and Mirrors" by Brett Slatkin. If you are already familiar with c/c++, you can try to find a book on graphics with C. Finally, if you want to go to university and learn more about programming, consider enrolling in a course or two.
hagopbul
i need to learn c/c++ to add effect on 3d objects and to use agia physix engine (like adding gravity , refraction,...etc) and i don't know where to start and what to read and what to learn
there is so much books and so much programs and lectures (i don't mean the 101 books i mean after that)

so please some Buddy recommend some books and where to start reading and what to do...

WhERE to start:confused::shy:

i am new on this...:shy:

Technology news on Phys.org
do you already know the basics for c and c++?
ie pointers etc.

if not I can recommend a book i used in my undergrad program.
It's called "The C Programming Langauge - 2e" by "Brian Kerningham"

This book helped me..
If you already know c/c++ try to amazon a book for graphics with C to see some books..

If this reply helped you that's good, if not I am sorry.

hagopbul said:
i need to learn c/c++ to add effect on 3d objects and to use agia physix engine (like adding gravity , refraction,...etc) and i don't know where to start and what to read and what to learn
there is so much books and so much programs and lectures (i don't mean the 101 books i mean after that)

so please some Buddy recommend some books and where to start reading and what to do...

How about a computer science book on advanced data structures written in C++? Try "Walls and Mirrors" and get the newest C++ (NOT Java) edition. I've found that to be helpful, based on a first-hand experience. For C, there is a book called "C programming in a UNIX Environment", but I wouldn't recommend that for someone who hasn't programmed before as it's geared more towards those who are learning about the C library in UNIX and is best for those who are studying Operating Systems.

But, if you are really wanting to get your money's worth, just go enroll in a university (or some other kind four-year college) and register for computer science courses. Sure, you'll probably have to take intro to programming courses, but at least you'll have real life people who might help you if you get stuck. I emphasize the word "might", because professors, TA's, and GA's aren't always the most patient of people when it comes to helping the inferior ones who don't know how to program.

hagopbul said:

For C/C++ book check out the http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html, perhaps one of the best books on c++. You may also want to look at Data Structures and Algorithms
with Object-Oriented Design Patterns in C++

I haven't herd of agia but the Favok engine is pretty good. There is a lot of documentation on it. There is also a free license version available online. There is a book for the good havok engine on amazon that goes over all the topics you just asked.

1. What are C and C++?

C and C++ are programming languages commonly used for developing software and applications. They are both high-level languages that offer a lot of control and flexibility, making them popular choices for creating complex programs.

2. What is the purpose of learning C/C++ for adding effects to 3D objects with physics engines?

C/C++ is commonly used for creating video games and other graphics-intensive applications. By learning these languages, you will have the skills to implement complex effects and physics simulations for 3D objects, creating a more immersive experience for users.

3. How can I learn C/C++?

There are many resources available for learning C/C++, including online courses, tutorials, and books. It is important to have a strong foundation in programming concepts before diving into these languages, so it may be helpful to start with a basic programming course before moving on to C/C++.

4. Do I need any prior knowledge or experience to learn C/C++ for adding effects to 3D objects with physics engines?

While prior programming experience is not required, it can be helpful to have a basic understanding of programming concepts such as variables, loops, and functions. It is also important to have a strong understanding of math, especially linear algebra, as it is heavily used in graphics and physics calculations.

5. How long does it take to learn C/C++ for adding effects to 3D objects with physics engines?

The time it takes to learn C/C++ will vary depending on your prior experience and how much time you dedicate to learning. With consistent practice and dedication, it is possible to become proficient in these languages within a few months. However, mastering them can take years of practice and experience.