Phytoplankton Experiment Topics

In summary, the biologist is having trouble finding a research topic that is do-able and is also applicable to their school's resources. They have come up with testing the effect of temperature on phytoplankton primary productivity, but that measurement is affected by temperature as well. They are also considering doing light intensity on primary productivity, but have already done an experiment on that topic. Finally, they are asking for help from experts on how to put an equal amount of phytoplankton into containers.
Qube
Gold Member
I need to do an experiment involving phytoplankton, and I'm having trouble finding do-able topics: I'm not a researcher with access to very expensive equipment. I do, however, have access to whatever is at my school.

So far, I've come up with testing the effect of temperature on phytoplankton primary productivity, but the way I'm going to be measuring primary productivity is through the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water, but the amount of dissolved oxygen is similarly affected by the temperature! So that clearly isn't going to work :)!

I've also thought about doing light intensity on primary productivity, but we just did an experiment involving light intensity and primary productivity ... so that's probably not good.

And one more question to all the biology experts out there: how exactly does one go about putting equal amounts of phytoplankton inside containers? I know how to catch phytoplankton, but how do you put an equal amount of phytoplankton inside jars?

Physics news on Phys.org
Qube said:
I need to do an experiment involving phytoplankton, and I'm having trouble finding do-able topics: I'm not a researcher with access to very expensive equipment. I do, however, have access to whatever is at my school.

So far, I've come up with testing the effect of temperature on phytoplankton primary productivity, but the way I'm going to be measuring primary productivity is through the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water, but the amount of dissolved oxygen is similarly affected by the temperature! So that clearly isn't going to work :)!

Gee, if only we had a control at the same temperature to compare...

And one more question to all the biology experts out there: how exactly does one go about putting equal amounts of phytoplankton inside containers? I know how to catch phytoplankton, but how do you put an equal amount of phytoplankton inside jars?
How small are these little buggers? Can you pipette a stirred solution of them without squishing 'em?

What is the purpose of studying phytoplankton in an experiment?

The purpose of studying phytoplankton in an experiment is to understand their role in the marine ecosystem, as well as their impact on global climate and ocean health. By conducting experiments, scientists can also gather data on the growth, distribution, and behavior of phytoplankton, which can inform conservation efforts and management strategies.

How do scientists collect and analyze phytoplankton samples in an experiment?

Scientists typically use a variety of methods to collect and analyze phytoplankton samples in an experiment. This can include using specialized nets, pumps, or sediment traps to collect samples from different depths in the ocean. Once collected, the samples are then analyzed under a microscope to identify and quantify different species of phytoplankton. Scientists may also use genetic techniques or remote sensing methods to analyze large-scale patterns of phytoplankton distribution.

What are some common variables that scientists manipulate in phytoplankton experiments?

Some common variables that scientists manipulate in phytoplankton experiments include nutrient levels, temperature, light availability, and carbon dioxide concentration. By altering these variables, scientists can investigate how changes in environmental conditions may affect the growth and behavior of phytoplankton.

How do phytoplankton experiments contribute to our understanding of climate change?

Phytoplankton experiments can contribute to our understanding of climate change in several ways. Firstly, they provide data on how phytoplankton respond to changing environmental conditions, which can inform predictions about how climate change may impact marine ecosystems. Additionally, phytoplankton are key players in the global carbon cycle, so understanding their behavior and distribution is crucial for understanding how the ocean is responding to increasing levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

What are some potential applications of phytoplankton research?

There are many potential applications of phytoplankton research, including improving our understanding of ocean health and the impacts of climate change, developing more efficient aquaculture practices, and even using phytoplankton as a sustainable source of food and energy. Additionally, phytoplankton are often used as indicators of water quality, so research in this field can also inform efforts to monitor and manage pollution in the ocean.