Pi and trascendental numbers - no repeating sequence of digits

In summary, the conversation discusses whether pi, which has infinite digits, contains a repeating sequence of infinite length and if that would make it a repeating decimal. However, it is concluded that the concept of a repeating sequence of infinite length is not feasible and that any repeating sequence in pi would have finite length.
naes213
Just pondering...

If pi continues without ending and can be considered to "contain an infinite number of digits" then isn't there a repeating sequence of infinite length contained in pi, thus making it a repeating decimal?

Obviously not...but what is the reason?

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
How can an infinite sequence repeat? Please define that for me.

First let me qualify this statement by saying that I'm certainly not an expert and am just supposing based on very minimal mathematical background.

In my mind...which again may be seriously flawed...if there is an infinite sequence of numbers then each and every possible combination of numbers must occur in that sequence, including some type of repeating pattern.

well I'm not much of a maths expert at all but i can't see a flaw in what you've said,
in fact you could say almost anthing you want about "an infinate sequence of numbers" if you're asked to proove it, you probably cant, but you probably can't be proven wrong either.

but i like your thinking. makes me wonder if the phrase "random infinate sequence" is really a sound idea! maybe when you get to infinity it starts repeating! in fact i can't think of a single good reason why it doesn't start repeating at decimal digit (84^986^123^4848)-1 ??/ lol

naes213 said:
Just pondering...

If pi continues without ending and can be considered to "contain an infinite number of digits" then isn't there a repeating sequence of infinite length contained in pi, thus making it a repeating decimal?

Thanks!

The reason is simply enough that the concept of a repeating sequence of infinite length doesn't make any sense unless you define what you mean and then it would most likely not be a repeating sequence of infinite length anymore, but some sort of ramdomness property like normality, (which indeed can neither be proved or disproved for pi at the moment)

naes213 said:
Just pondering...

Thanks!

What do you mean by "a repeating sequence of infinite length"? As said above, a "sequence of infinite length" can't repeat- there is no "end" to the sequence so that it can repeat! I imagine you are thinking of the fact that any rational number is "eventually repeating". In that case the "repeating sequence" is not of infinite length. In 1/3= .33333..., the "repeating sequence" is just "3"- and the entire rest of the number is just that- no room for any other digits.

A simpler example is 0.101001000100001... which obviously, though it is of infinite length, never "repeats"- there is always one more 0 between 2 1s.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a transcendental number?

A transcendental number is a real number that is not a root of any non-zero polynomial equation with integer coefficients. In other words, it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. Examples of transcendental numbers include pi, e, and the square root of 2.

2. What makes pi a transcendental number?

Pi is considered a transcendental number because it cannot be expressed as a finite or repeating decimal. It is an irrational number, meaning it has an infinite number of non-repeating digits after the decimal point. This makes it impossible to represent pi as a fraction.

3. What is the significance of pi in mathematics?

Pi is a fundamental constant in mathematics, representing the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. It is used in many mathematical formulas and is crucial in the fields of geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. Pi also has many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and statistics.

4. Are there other transcendental numbers besides pi?

Yes, there are infinitely many transcendental numbers. In fact, most real numbers are transcendental. Other well-known transcendental numbers include e (the base of the natural logarithm), the golden ratio, and the Euler-Mascheroni constant.

5. How do we know that pi and other transcendental numbers have no repeating sequence of digits?

This has been proven through mathematical proofs and theorems. For example, the Lindemann-Weierstrass theorem states that if a number is algebraic (meaning it is a root of a polynomial equation with integer coefficients), then its exponential function is transcendental. Since pi and other transcendental numbers can be expressed as the exponential function, they must be transcendental themselves.