Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pi miscalculated or not irrational?

1. Jun 30, 2004 #1
    pi miscalculated or not irrational???

I know that computers have calculated thousands of digits of pi, but does this mean that pi is an irrational number? How can we be so sure that it is irrational? And I have one more question. The circles we see in real life are not perfect circles. Does this mean that pi might have been miscalculated? :confused: :confused: :confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2004 #2
    No, we can calculate thousands of digits of the decimal expansion of 1/3, but that doesn't make it irrational ;)

Because it was proven (way back in 1768, if my googling is correct). See this page for a proof.

No, why would it mean that? I /seriously/ doubt that any of the algorithms used for calculating millions of digits of pi include any measurements of "real" circles...

You might find this page interesting. As you can see, most of those formulas are quite far removed from anything concerning circles (other than the fact that they involve pi, of course)...
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2004
  4. Jul 1, 2004 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

As Muzza said, Euler proved that pi is irrational.
    It was proved to be transcendental by Lindemann in the 19th century, I believe
  5. Jul 1, 2004 #4
    I didn't say that... ;) Mathworld says that it was Lambert who proved it.

It appears as if the date I gave in my last post was wrong.
  6. Jul 5, 2004 #5
    A really neat demostration of the fact tha Pi is irrational can be found in Spivak's Calculus
  7. Jul 5, 2004 #6

Gold Member

to be trascendental is the same thing that to be not algebraic, isn't it?
  8. Jul 5, 2004 #7
    Yes. (This is just a filler to get rid of the silly "you can't post a message this short"-error).
  9. Jul 5, 2004 #8

Gold Member

Yes indeed.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?