Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(pi+)(n)-> (p)(gamma)

1. Sep 21, 2010 #1
    Hey guys,
    I was wondering if this reactions is possible:

[tex]\pi^{+} + n \rightarrow p + \gamma[/tex]

(Assuming there is enough energy in the initial state to make the reaction go)

If not, what law is violated?

Lepton and baryon numbers are ok... also angular momentum, so I guess it's possible, but still... I can't figure out how to draw the feynman diagram, since there is a total of 5 quarks in the initial state ([tex] u,\bar{d}... d,d,u [/tex]) and there is just 3 in the final state (u,u,d and gamma).

At first, I was thinking in merging d and [tex]\bar{d}[/tex] into a photon , but just 1 photon would violate the momentum conservation law...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2010 #2
    Re: (pi+)(n)->(p)(gamma)

I would attach gluon(s) to the quark lines, and have a quark radiate a photon.

4. Sep 22, 2010 #3

Ok, a gluon can be attached into [tex] d, \bar{d} [/tex]

But then I would have an excited system with:

[tex] d \bar{d} \rightarrow \it{g} [/tex]

Which is the problem, since I would already have the [tex] u u d [/tex] configuration necessary for the proton in the final state, and the gamma can come from radiation from a quark as you said.

I'm using now the W boson to interact with one of the down quarks producing an up quark, I guest that would be possible. What do you guys think?

i57yc5.png

5. Sep 22, 2010 #4

All of your hadrons are bound states, and have tons of glue floating around inside them. I'm coming from a lattice QCD perspective, where we don't even bother drawing the gluons; we just use "quark-line diagrams" (and compute the path integral nonperturbatively...).

At any rate, two quick comments:

1) Your diagram basically has pi^+ converting into a W^+. This is going to be way off mass-shell, and also introduces two weak vertexes. I suspect it is negligible.

2) Isn't this process just pion photo-production "in reverse"? There should be lots of relevant literature about gamma-p interactions. They may invoke some "hadronization" for the pion and nucleon final states, in lieu of dealing with the glue.

6. Sep 22, 2010 #5

i got it! =)

I just turned d dbar into a gluon and made it interact with another quark, producing a photon as in the Compton Scattering pointed here:
    http://www-e706.fnal.gov/gifs/feynman-dp-color.jpeg

[tex]q \it{g} \rightarrow q \gamma [/tex]

:)

7. Sep 23, 2010 #6

I would guess that the helicity problem with that is worse than the mass shell suppression.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook