Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pi vs. Pie

1. Pi

34 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. Pie

30 vote(s)
    46.9%
  1. Jul 15, 2010 #1

Char. Limit

Gold Member

So, I was browsing the complaints in the Forum Feedback today, just for fun, and I thought of something. Pi is commonly misspelled as "pie". And I got thinking, which is more important? Pi or pie? Which would you rather have?

And this poll was born, in a feverish stupor I might add.

So, what would you rather have... pi? or pie?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2010 #2
    Why not both?

potd_pi-pie.jpg

4. Jul 15, 2010 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Pie are squared. :biggrin:

Blueberry, blackberry, rhubarb or apricot-peach cobbler with vanilla ice-cream would hit the spot.

5. Jul 15, 2010 #4
    http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/redeye-puzzler/assets_c/2010/04/Pi-thumb-580x243-110735.jpg

6. Jul 15, 2010 #5
    I'm starving and love pies. I also hate circles (unless its a round pie).

So... Pie for me. :tongue2::tongue2::tongue2:

7. Jul 15, 2010 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pie or pie?

Crud, I picked pi, but thought the choices were:

pi - 3.14159

or

pie - 3.14159 * 2.71828 = 8.54
    (pie is always round)

8. Jul 15, 2010 #7
    People don't realize how important the number Pi is to the lives science affords them.

Two overweight people chose pie...

9. Jul 15, 2010 #8
    4 sad bastards chose Pi in a comedy thread.

People just don't realise how important a good tasting pie is to this world.

10. Jul 15, 2010 #9
    Pie all the way. I'll leave Pi for my calculator. I never thought Pi tasted too good.

11. Jul 15, 2010 #10
    This thread reminds me of my high school math teacher. His favorite joke was to ask the class, "What is the formula for the area of a circle?".

Invariably, at least one student would yell out, "Pi R squared !", to which he would reply, "No! Pie are round.".

Interestingly, he wasn't trying to be a bad comic, but had a mathematical point to make in doing this. He wanted to stress the importance of being precise in mathematics. The "blurted out" phrase from the students has no clear meaning on its own.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  12. Jul 15, 2010 #11
    I'd rather have pie over the symbol pi. Nobody said anything about taking away the actual value!

13. Jul 15, 2010 #12
    I answered your darn poll, now wheres my Pie?

14. Jul 15, 2010 #13
    Exactly. If you take the pie, you get pi for free by studying the circular pie plate when you are done eating.

Now, try to bake a pie using only pi as an ingredient. If you succeed, don't ask me to try it. :eek:

15. Jul 15, 2010 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ditto. This poll is a rip off. I thought I was getting some pie. :grumpy:

16. Jul 15, 2010 #15
    :rofl:

17. Jul 15, 2010 #16

Danger

Gold Member

I hate to disagree with you, oh bearded wonder, and I also hate to post re-runs, but you leave me no choice:
    "[URL=[PLAIN]http://img89.imageshack.us/i/pf2jb.jpg/[/URL] [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  18. Jul 15, 2010 #17

Char. Limit

Gold Member

It's in the mail, it should arrive in six to eight weeks. Whether it will be fit to eat then... well, that's up to you. Eat it if you want, I wouldn't recommend it.

Honestly, I'm surprised at the results.

19. Jul 15, 2010 #18

Danger

Gold Member

To be honest, with no disrespect intended toward Char.Limit, the question doesn't really make sense to me. Pi is an intrinsic property of the universe, which happened to be interpreted by humans. Pie is a confection. It really doesn't matter how one feels about pi; it exists apart from any consciousness whether or not anyone appreciates it. It's an interesting question for a poll, but I really can't see the relevance.
    That having been said, I voted for pi, because I prefer cake to pie.

20. Jul 16, 2010 #19

Char. Limit

Gold Member

There's no disrespect taken, becuase the question isn't supposed to be relevant to anything. It's simply a comedy question based on a common misspelling of pi, and my boredom at the time. And seriously, I was quite bored.

And I voted for pi as well, because I'm a total math nerd.

21. Jul 16, 2010 #20
    Well, somehow you've converted me into a Piethagorean.

... and, if that groaner doesn't kill this thread, I don't know what will.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook