Pi(x) function in number theory

In summary, the application does not ring any bells with the user's PC and the user's anti-virus software warns about not trusting uncertified sources. If it is live on the PF site it is safe, but the user needs to save the file to view it.
eljose79
Here it is a solution for Pi(x) funciton in number thoeroy using the Laplace transformation and Euler,s transformation for alternating series

Attachments

• pifunction.doc
    38 KB · Views: 313
Physics news on Phys.org
heop it helps...

Attachments

• pifunction.doc
    38 KB · Views: 286
I clicked on the link, but got a pop up window asking me if I wanted to open the file or save it. The application also didn't ring any bells with my poor old PC, and my anti-virus software yelled something about not trusting uncertified sources. If it's live in PF I guess it's safe, but what application do I need to view the file with when I do save it?

it's .doc that means word unfortunately. in the math number theory forum he's posted a link to a pdf file at arxiv.

if you want to save the hassle:

synopsis:

something about laplace transforms, which may or may not be true, followed by an approximation cos something's too hard to work out. no indication of the error in the approximation (ie is it asymptotic or what?) followed by an observation that to work out the hard sum requires one to know pi(x) already.

feel free to correct my reading of that of course, i didn't give it my full attention, but that's becuase a skim through revealed serious flaws that the reviewer of the journal undoubtedly saw if it even got that far (papers are often communicated on your behalf by someone else - did you submit it directly?)

Right in the middle we suddenly see
"Now if we could calculate the sum on the left we could apply the Laplace inverse transform to get π(x) unfortunately the sum is hard to calculate so we will seetle for an aproximation of it by using the Euler's transform of an analytical series:"

so that even if everything is correct, this is not π(x) but only another approximation.

By the way, was there a reason for this appearing in the "Phyics" area rather than "Mathematics"?

1. What is the Pi(x) function in number theory?

The Pi(x) function is a mathematical function in number theory that counts the number of prime numbers less than or equal to a given number x. It is also known as the prime counting function.

2. How is the Pi(x) function calculated?

The Pi(x) function is typically calculated using the Meissel-Lehmer algorithm, which involves summing up certain terms related to the prime number theorem. There are also other methods for approximating the value of Pi(x) for large values of x.

3. What is the significance of the Pi(x) function in number theory?

The Pi(x) function is a fundamental function in number theory, and it is used in many important theorems and conjectures. It helps us understand the distribution of prime numbers and their relationship with other numbers in the number system.

4. Can the Pi(x) function be extended to count prime numbers in other number systems?

Yes, the Pi(x) function can be extended to count prime numbers in other number systems, such as complex numbers or finite fields. However, the definition and calculation of the function may differ in these cases.

5. Are there any applications of the Pi(x) function outside of number theory?

Although the Pi(x) function is primarily used in number theory, it has also been applied in other fields such as cryptography, where it is used to generate large prime numbers for encryption algorithms. It also has applications in statistics and data analysis.