Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pi(x) function in number theory

1. Feb 13, 2004 #1
    Here it is a solution for Pi(x) funciton in number thoeroy using the Laplace transformation and Euler,s transformation for alternating series

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2004 #2
    heop it helps...

Attached Files:

4. Feb 18, 2004 #3

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I clicked on the link, but got a pop up window asking me if I wanted to open the file or save it. The application also didn't ring any bells with my poor old PC, and my anti-virus software yelled something about not trusting uncertified sources. If it's live in PF I guess it's safe, but what application do I need to view the file with when I do save it?

5. Feb 19, 2004 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

it's .doc that means word unfortunately. in the math number theory forum he's posted a link to a pdf file at arxiv.

if you want to save the hassle:

synopsis:

something about laplace transforms, which may or may not be true, followed by an approximation cos something's too hard to work out. no indication of the error in the approximation (ie is it asymptotic or what?) followed by an observation that to work out the hard sum requires one to know pi(x) already.

feel free to correct my reading of that of course, i didn't give it my full attention, but that's becuase a skim through revealed serious flaws that the reviewer of the journal undoubtedly saw if it even got that far (papers are often communicated on your behalf by someone else - did you submit it directly?)

6. Feb 23, 2004 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Right in the middle we suddenly see
    "Now if we could calculate the sum on the left we could apply the Laplace inverse transform to get π(x) unfortunately the sum is hard to calculate so we will seetle for an aproximation of it by using the Euler's transform of an analytical series:"

so that even if everything is correct, this is not π(x) but only another approximation.

By the way, was there a reason for this appearing in the "Phyics" area rather than "Mathematics"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?