Solving for Time: Piano Falling Down Ramp

In summary, the question is asking how long it will take for a piano to roll down a 3m long ramp at a 20-degree angle into a truck, assuming no friction and an initial velocity of 0m/s. The equation Xf = Xi + Vi t + .5at^2 can be used to solve for time, but the challenging part is finding the acceleration parallel to the ramp, which can be determined by drawing a free body diagram of the piano.
blee2x2
You have a piano that you have just pushed to the top of the 3m long ramp that goes into the truck. The ramp is at a 20-degree angle. You think your friend has a grip on it and she think you do when you all let go. How long do you have before the piano gets to the bottom of the ramp? Assume no friction.

1. Homework Statement

How long will it take for the piano at the top of the ramp to get to the bottom of the ramp.
We know the length of the ramp is 3 meter and is angled 20 degrees to the truck. There is no friction.

Can we assume initial velocity is 0m/s?

Homework Equations

Xf = Xi + Vi t + .5at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i am not quit sure if i am using the right equation to solve for time here.

Physics news on Phys.org
blee2x2 said:
You have a piano that you have just pushed to the top of the 3m long ramp that goes into the truck. The ramp is at a 20-degree angle. You think your friend has a grip on it and she think you do when you all let go. How long do you have before the piano gets to the bottom of the ramp? Assume no friction.

1. Homework Statement

How long will it take for the piano at the top of the ramp to get to the bottom of the ramp.
We know the length of the ramp is 3 meter and is angled 20 degrees to the truck. There is no friction.

Homework Equations

Xf = Xi + Vi t + .5at^2

Yes, initial velocity is zero, and that is the right equation to use, but what will the acceleration be?

EDIT: Posted before seeing post #2

blee2x2 said:

Yes, I would think so.

Homework Equations

Xf = Xi + Vi t + .5at^2

That equation will work.

The hard part is finding a (acceleration parallel to the ramp). Have you drawn a free body diagram of the piano?

1. How does the weight of the piano affect its speed as it falls down a ramp?

The weight of the piano does not affect its speed as it falls down a ramp. The acceleration due to gravity is constant for all objects, regardless of their weight.

2. Does the angle of the ramp affect the speed of the piano?

Yes, the angle of the ramp does affect the speed of the piano. The steeper the angle of the ramp, the faster the piano will accelerate due to gravity.

3. What is the relationship between the length of the ramp and the speed of the piano?

The longer the ramp, the longer it will take for the piano to reach the bottom and the greater its final speed will be. This is because the piano has more distance to accelerate as it travels down the longer ramp.

4. How does the friction between the piano and the ramp affect its speed?

The friction between the piano and the ramp will slow down the piano's speed as it falls. This is due to the resistance created by the friction, which opposes the motion of the piano.

5. Is the speed of the piano affected by the material of the ramp?

Yes, the material of the ramp can affect the speed of the piano. A smoother surface will have less friction, allowing the piano to accelerate faster. A rougher surface will have more friction, slowing down the piano's speed.