Playing Piano: Tips for Improving Pinky Muscle Strength

In summary, the person is getting muscle spasms when they play the piano and wants to know how to make it easier. They should consult a doctor or an occupational therapist before doing any permanent damage. They should also try playing with flat fingers to see if that helps. Right-handed or not, they should relax their pinky when they are writing.
ehrenfest
Does anyone here play piano?

I recently learned Fur Elise but the more I play it the more my pinky muscle gets sore and usually I just have to quit in the middle of the song from these weird pinky muscle spasms. Does anyone know how I can make my pinky muscle stronger? Will it eventually be easier to play? I speak of the pinky on my right hand.

Physics news on Phys.org
Right, when you're playing take a look at what you're pinky is doing. If while playing the notes using other finger, you're pinky is making up-right posture (not curled or relaxed in as usual) you're tiring your pinky when not using it. Hmm...it's very difficult to explain but let me try one more time. Put your right on top of the white keys, just relax your hands on the keys. Now with your thumb, press Do. Then with your index press Re. and so on. As you do this exercise, watch your pinky. Your pinky should not move much as you're going from Do, Re, Mi and until you're using your pinky to press Sol key. But if you find your pinky going straight up along the key side, you need expert's help. Get a piano teacher. If you can't afford to have piano teacher and you just want to learn to play easy peaces, then practice Hannon's Study for fingering enhancement.

Piano is not my forte. I've heard that using Hannon's book for finger exercises will increase the strength of all of your fingers evenly.

HungryChemist said:
If you can't afford to have piano teacher and you just want to learn to play easy peaces, then practice Hannon's Study for fingering enhancement.
My piano teacher made me play Hannon at least one hour a day, before practicing actual pieces, for a couple of year or so. It makes wonders from a technical pooint of view. If you want to play piano seriously, you need to practice everyday, a fairly long amount of time. It is very enjoyable.

Hi ehrenfest! :smile:

First … stop doing it (at least until you've taken professional advice).
Patient to doctor: it hurts when I do that.

Doctor to patient: Then don't do that!

Second … if you're getting muscle spasms, you should consult a doctor or an occupational therapist, preferably one with experience in music, before you do any permanent damage.

Third … I assume you're playing with curved fingers. Have you tried playing with flat fingers (like some famous rock pianists).

Fourth … hold your hand out flat. Bend your index finger to meet your palm (leaving the others still). Then the next one. Then the next one. Now the pinky … does it go straight down like it should, or does it hit the next one and refuse to move off it?

Fifth … are you right-handed? Do you relax your pinky when you're writing, or do you clench it against your hand?

tiny-tim said:
Fourth … hold your hand out flat. Bend your index finger to meet your palm (leaving the others still). Then the next one. Then the next one. Now the pinky … does it go straight down like it should, or does it hit the next one and refuse to move off it?

Can anyone bend their middle, ring, or pinky fingers down towards their palm leaving the others still?

tiny-tim said:
Fifth … are you right-handed? Do you relax your pinky when you're writing, or do you clench it against your hand?

I clench it against my hand. Is that bad?

HungryChemist said:
If you can't afford to have piano teacher and you just want to learn to play easy peaces, then practice Hannon's Study for fingering enhancement.

I googled "Hannon's Study" piano and the only thing I got was this thread.

ehrenfest said:
Can anyone bend their middle, ring, or pinky fingers down towards their palm leaving the others still?
Not absolutely still, but nearly so. But my pinky drags the ring finger with it, even though the ring finger does not drag the pinky.

Assuming you don't have some musculoskeletal problem, get a finger exerciser; usually sold in rock climbing shops; and strengthen that little bastard up.

1. How important is it to specifically focus on improving pinky muscle strength while playing piano?

Improving pinky muscle strength is crucial for pianists because the pinky fingers are responsible for playing many of the intricate and delicate movements required for playing piano. Neglecting pinky muscle strength can lead to difficulties in playing certain pieces and can also increase the risk of injury.

2. What are some exercises that can help improve pinky muscle strength?

Some exercises that can help improve pinky muscle strength include trills, scales, arpeggios, and finger independence exercises. It's also important to warm up before practicing and to gradually increase the difficulty of exercises to avoid strain or injury.

3. How often should I practice to see improvement in my pinky muscle strength?

Consistent practice is key in improving pinky muscle strength. It's recommended to practice at least 30 minutes every day, but it's also important to listen to your body and take breaks when needed. It's better to have shorter but focused practice sessions than long, tiring ones.

4. Are there any specific techniques or hand positions that can help strengthen the pinky fingers?

Yes, there are techniques and hand positions that can help strengthen the pinky fingers. The "curled" hand position, where the pinky fingers are slightly curled and closer to the keys, can help engage the pinky muscles more while playing. Additionally, using proper finger placement and avoiding tension in the hand can also aid in strengthening the pinky fingers.

5. Are there any other benefits to improving pinky muscle strength besides playing piano?

Yes, there are other benefits to improving pinky muscle strength. Strong pinky muscles can help with overall hand dexterity and can also be beneficial for other activities such as typing, writing, and playing other instruments. Additionally, having strong pinky muscles can also improve overall playing technique and help prevent injury in the long run.