What are some common nicknames given to Vikings?

• News
  • Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: LOT of them. It was a pretty unkempt, unruly place, and it was always entertaining to see who was going to get into what kind of trouble next.In summary, Trollwise is a nickname that someone in the Grade 4 boy scouts club likes.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Pick a descriptive nickname or ask some one to give to you one,

Wise, Fox, Fool, Grey Cloak, Hairy Britches, Flat Nose, Hog-head, Broad-paunch, Short, Stout, Fair, Dark, Halftroll, Forkbeard, Hairy-cheek, Bald, Beardless, Tangle-hair, Trout, Seal, Blood-axe, War Tooth, Long Reach, Iron Sword, Skull-splitter, Hot-head, Trunk-back, Ironside, Anvil-head, Fearless, Gold bearer, Ring Giver, Grim, Silent, Smooth-tongued, Word-master, Adder-tongue, Braggart, Crow, Eagle, Healer, Trollwise, Strong-minded, Deep-minded, Boneless.
I like Trollwise.

Physics news on Phys.org

wolram said:
Pick a descriptive nickname or ask some one to give to you one,

Wise, Fox, Fool, Grey Cloak, Hairy Britches, Flat Nose, Hog-head, Broad-paunch, Short, Stout, Fair, Dark, Halftroll, Forkbeard, Hairy-cheek, Bald, Beardless, Tangle-hair, Trout, Seal, Blood-axe, War Tooth, Long Reach, Iron Sword, Skull-splitter, Hot-head, Trunk-back, Ironside, Anvil-head, Fearless, Gold bearer, Ring Giver, Grim, Silent, Smooth-tongued, Word-master, Adder-tongue, Braggart, Crow, Eagle, Healer, Trollwise, Strong-minded, Deep-minded, Boneless.
I like Trollwise.

Sounds like the secret code names of the Grade 4 boy scouts club.

Do I have to pick from your list? The name on my baseball uniform was 'Weasel', which was actually quite appropriate. :biggrin:

I used to be known as "he of the wondrous visage" and "commander energy".Now I am known as "sad old duffer".

Nick.

nick.jpg

My mother has called me "Manny" my entire life. I had no idea where the nickname came from, seeing as how my real name is Alex. I asked her a few years ago and she said that she used to call me her "big man" when I was a toddler. When I got old enough to understand such concepts, I told her I was a "Manny" because my dad was a man and "I wasn't big like him yet".

Damn. I was a pretty cute kid. What the heck happened?

My mother used to call me squizzle, short for exquisite. Now she calls my son that.

When my wife's feeling amorous and half asleep she calls me Georgie Cuddles Bon Bon.My name's Charlie.

Hey Borek, is that you without the green hair? Or much of the rest of the rainbow either.

My dad used to call me sugarfoot. No idea where that came from.

jimmysnyder said:
Hey Borek, is that you without the green hair? Or much of the rest of the rainbow either.

I don't think it's Borek;he looks like a chap called Georgie.My wife and I met him at a place called Nick.

lisab said:
My dad used to call me sugarfoot. No idea where that came from.

I don't know if this is related to your specific situation, but 'Sugarfoot' was the title of a TV western in the late 50's/early 60's. The name was a variation of 'tenderfoot', which the title character obtained through being pretty useless at cowboy skills (he was a lawyer).

jimmysnyder said:

Me. July 2003. Close to 53°12'53.99"N 19°54'52.79"E.

I had one family member who called me Yellow Bird, and another who called me chrystabelle. So I pretty much answered to anything.

I was named after my father, so I ended up with a nick-name automatically. The neighborhood kids used to make up all kinds of names for me, in part because my given name is Harley, and they liked playing with the motorcycle association. An older kid in the neighborhood always called me Hot Bird. I don't remember how that came about, but I was always somewhat of a daredevil, and had to get stitched up and get tetanus shots at least once a year, so that may have had something to do with it.

turbo-1 said:
tetanus shots at least once a year

:confused:
Have they changed the formulation? Mine are good for 10 years per.

Danger said:
:confused:
Have they changed the formulation? Mine are good for 10 years per.
I don't know. There was a lot of turn-over in doctors in that little one-horse town, and If I couldn't tell them exactly when I had my last tetanus shot, they'd give me another one. The school nurses kept track of vaccinations, but those country doctors worked out of one-room home offices, and record-keeping was non-existent.

Understood. My doctor has perfect records, but I still write my tetanus expiry date on my health care card just in case.

JasonRox said:
Sounds like the secret code names of the Grade 4 boy scouts club.

They are all Viking nick names, like Boneless was a crippled chieftan who led a band of raiders into Britain, Skull splitter put an axe in a rivals head when he was 6 years old, so the story goes.

An older fellow from another town that I met a few years back said "In your town, every guy had a nick-name. It was like hanging out with a gang of mobsters." It was a pretty rough place. I started thinking back about adults that I knew as a kid - Witchy, Spitty, Weasel, Popcorn, Zyke, (his real name was Kermit!), and on and on. The old guy was right - it's like everybody had an alias.

I'm called "moose" by someone.

Borek said:
nick.jpg

That sign would so not stay long in place in the UK.

I wonder if anyone in Nick knew why I have asked Marzena to take this picture :smile:

Nick went to Nick and was nicked, Nick is now in nick in Nick.

Ah, so there is more to nick than I thought.

wolram said:
That sign would so not stay long in place in the UK.

Not that many thieves around where I live. It will probably be some drunk that nicks it though, that's how it always happens. Drunk people think its funny to steal stuff. Any scientist have a rationale for this?

wolram said:
Nick went to Nick and was nicked, Nick is now in nick in Nick.

So if he's good at something, does that make it a Nick-knack?

I was dubbed 'Thin Lizzy' when I was in the Navy. Almost everyone was given some kind of nickname. My favorites were 'Dirty Deeds' and 'Ma Bell'.

Danger said:
So if he's good at something, does that make it a Nick-knack?

No, well maybe, but nick knack paddy whack gave a dog a bone??

wolram said:
No, well maybe, but nick knack paddy whack gave a dog a bone??
I'm not sure about England, but boning a dog is still illegal in Canada.

What are some common nicknames given to Vikings?

1. What is the meaning behind the nickname "Norsemen"?

The term "Norsemen" refers to the people who lived in the northern regions of Europe, specifically the Scandinavian countries, during the Viking Age. It comes from the Old Norse word "norse", which means "from the north".

2. Why are Vikings also known as "berserkers"?

The term "berserker" comes from the Old Norse word "berserkr", which refers to a warrior who fought in a state of uncontrollable rage and frenzy. This nickname was given to Vikings because of their ferocity and fearlessness in battle.

3. What do the nicknames "Danes", "Norwegians", and "Swedes" have to do with Vikings?

These nicknames refer to the different groups of people who lived in the Scandinavian countries during the Viking Age. The Danes were from Denmark, the Norwegians from Norway, and the Swedes from Sweden. These groups were all considered Vikings and were known for their seafaring and raiding abilities.

4. How did Vikings get the nickname "sea wolves"?

The nickname "sea wolves" refers to the Vikings' reputation as skilled and ruthless seafarers. They were known for their longships and their ability to navigate the treacherous waters of the North Atlantic, making them fearsome opponents in battle.

5. What is the origin of the nickname "Varangians" for Vikings?

The term "Varangian" comes from the Old Norse word "víkingr", which means "pirate" or "raider". It was used by the Byzantine Empire to refer to the Scandinavian warriors who served as mercenaries in their army. Over time, the term became associated with all Vikings.

Back