Medical Picking your nose?

• Thread starter Ryuk1990
  • Start date
Is there any scientific evidence suggesting that picking your nose over a long period of time can make your nose bigger?

Is there any scientific evidence suggesting that picking your nose over a long period of time can make your nose bigger?
Have you done a literature search on nose picking? We would prefer that you do some research on your own so that you are better equipped for a scientific discussion when you post.

You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose,but you can't pick your friends nose.

Borek

Mentor
Most definitely. Children do this all the time, even in public. Look how fast their noses grow.

And, it seems Einstein never shedded this bad habit. Just look.

Attachments

A lot of it has to do with finger size and willingness to "go deep".

Last edited:
How does one find the appropriate wording to write a proposal to obtain the long term funding for such a research study? Anyone with such skill is welcome to help me write my next proposal. Name your fee!

How does one find the appropriate wording to write a proposal to obtain the long term funding for such a research study? Anyone with such skill is welcome to help me write my next proposal. Name your fee!
Your proposal should be entitled: "Proposal for a long term cohort study of the consequences of rhinotillexomania in children." This study is good for at least 20 years of funding.

Last edited:
Your proposal should be entitled: "Proposal for a long term cohort study of the consequences of rhinotillexomania in children." This study is good for at least 20 years of funding.
You're hired !!! :cool:

You're hired !!! :cool:
Hey. I've worked on both sides of the fence on research grant funding. They'll think "rhino... what?" and be too embarrassed to ask what it means. It's about children so it must be important!

EDIT: That's only at the first level of review however, so don't get your hopes up too much.

Last edited:
Why does this even matter? I think it's safe to assume that most people pick their noses as much as the next guy/gal, yielding no significant or observable affect in size.

bobze

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Your nose and ears continue to grow throughout life. Speculative on my part here; but I wonder if this has anything to do with this myth?

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

bobze

Science Advisor
Gold Member
:rofl: I knew this was going to get ugly!
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorry its that slap happy time of night where everything funny appears quadruply so :biggrin:

:rofl: I knew this was going to get ugly!
Actually it does get ugly. While there doesn't seem to be any evidence that chronic nose-picking causes noses to be larger than they otherwise would be, there are serious possible consequences from compulsive nose-picking (rhinotillexomania) including perforation of the nasal septum, chronic bleeding, and local infection with possible intracranial extension. The linked case report concerns penetration into the ethmoid sinus.

http://www.ajnr.org/cgi/reprint/18/10/1949.pdf

Last edited:
the key to nare hypertrophy is progressive overload. start small, using just the pinky. then, over a period of months to years, work your way up to the thumb.

That would be an interesting study. Paricularly the implications for the findings to be applied to other areas of the body that are frequently played with.....

Borek

Mentor
I wonder how to understand word "findings" in the context of nose picking.

This topic challenges my faith in god........
And while hes looking for research perhaps hell discover why mucos production is down regulated in female humans as i have never observed attractive women picking their noses. Perhaps this explains the cute little noses they have....