Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pickle plate

1. Jan 22, 2009 #1

wolram

Gold Member

One thing i enjoy is pickles, this is a dish i put together,

Pickled red cabbage
    Pickled cauliflower
    Pickled cornichons
    Pickled onions (balsamic vinegar)
    Pickled chili's
    Pickled peppadews

Served with strong cheese and crusty bread.

A treat for the taste buds :approve:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2009 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Pickles are a staple around here. Sweet bread-and-butter pickles, tart dill pickles, pickled jalapenos ... During harvest-season, much of the produce from the garden goes directly into pickles, relishes, etc. We haven't had to buy pickles of any kind for years.

4. Jan 22, 2009 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I love pickled okra.

5. Jan 22, 2009 #4

wolram

Gold Member

I think i have never seen okra, i may have it in some dish but would not know.

6. Jan 22, 2009 #5
    Pickled cucumbers, of course.

7. Jan 22, 2009 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Of course. The bread-and-butter pickles are primarily cucumbers, onions, and peppers, and most of the dill pickles are primarily cucumbers, onions, and peppers. Somehow, chili peppers keep finding their way into many batches of pickles, though. Sneaky little rascals...

8. Jan 22, 2009 #7

wolram

Gold Member

Baby beetroots are another favorite of mine, but one has to use extreme caution when transfering from plate to mouth.

9. Jan 22, 2009 #8

wolram

Gold Member

I have some (what was described as spear chili's when bought), the first taste is neutral
    almost cucumber like, then slightly sweet, then seconds later a wholesome blast to the palette, i have taken to chewing them for a second or two then drawing a breath through my mouth, the effect is glorious.

10. Jan 22, 2009 #9

turbo

Gold Member

I love pickled chilies. I had a surplus of jalapenos last season, and when I had frozen enough to satisfy my wife, and made all the chili relish we would need for the upcoming year, there were still lots left over, so I sliced the jalapenos into rings, packed them into jars, and processed them just as if I were making (cucumber) dill pickles with onions and garlic. I should have made more. The Mexican roll-up treat recipe that my wife invented is fast using up the dill-pickled jalapenos. I'm now down to one last quart and the next chili harvest is still 8-9 months away. :cry:

I had no idea that they would turn out this good, or I would have made a lot more of them.

11. Jan 22, 2009 #10
    I love pickles too. A friend of mine from Transylvania, showed me how to do vodka shots with a pickle chaser. It was so good!

12. Jan 22, 2009 #11

wolram

Gold Member

13. Jan 22, 2009 #12
    Pour some vodka in a glass, add just a touch of the pickle juice, and a dash of fresh ground black pepper. Drink and then bite into the pickle. They also ate some really great bread, topped with a semi- dry goat cheese and olives during the evening. It was wonderful.

14. Jan 22, 2009 #13

wolram

Gold Member

Sounds okay Hypatia, but i think i would get pished as a newt. smile.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?