Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pics from my weekend

1. Aug 23, 2005 #1
    I had a pretty interesting weekend and thought some of you might enjoy some of the pictures.... :smile:

First there is me a Mt. Rushmore

[​IMG]

Badlands pics

[​IMG]

An antelope grazing in the badlands

[​IMG]

more badlands

[​IMG]

me standing at the edge of a cliff

[​IMG]

one more for the road

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2005 #2
    Some information about Mt. Rushmore...

From the chin to the top of the head the Washington head is 60 ft long. His nose is 21 ft long and his mouth is 18 feet wide....pretty frickin big....

4. Aug 23, 2005 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Dude, you have pi on your shirt....need to do laundry.

[/obvious]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  5. Aug 23, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yet another place where that :groan: smiley would come in handy if Greg would just indulge us. :biggrin:

Cool pics Townsend! Amazing landscape up there.

6. Aug 23, 2005 #5

Evo

Awesome pictures Townsend!!!!

7. Aug 23, 2005 #6

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, the badlands are beautiful in a surreal kind of way. When I visited there last summer I used up something like a roll and a half of film.

8. Aug 24, 2005 #7
    That shirt...need to go one day if you plan on dating.

9. Aug 24, 2005 #8
    Great photos, I had heard they washed Mt Rushmore. And it does look cleaner/brighter! Glad you had a safe trip.

10. Aug 24, 2005 #9
    Looks like you did part of the trip I took several years ago with my family. Mt. Rushmore is AMAZING when you're there in person, the pictures just don't justify it. The badlands are really nice too, hot though.

What was the temperature like when you were there Townsend? Looks like you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing the pics.

11. Aug 24, 2005 #10

Astronuc

No keep the shirt! Hopefully your wife appreciates it. :biggrin:

Cool pictures - it's one of the places I haven't been to yet. Badlands is on my list of places to visit - and the Mammoth Site in Hot Springs ( http://www.mammothsite.com/ ). My folks were there a couple of years ago.

Badlands looks a little like the area east of Anza Borrego just east of San Diego.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  12. Aug 24, 2005 #11
    :rofl:

If I do plan on dating I would keep the shirt but my wife might get a tad pissed about that.... :smile:

13. Aug 24, 2005 #12
    The temps were not bad; I couldn't say for sure but I didn't sweet much.....

I did have a very good trip. I have been back in South Dakota for year now after leaving the service and this is the first chance I have really had to get out west river. The Sturgis bike rally was going on at the same time I was out there so I had the opportunity to look at a lot of nice Harleys too.

Next year I think we need to stop and go through bear country and the dinosaur museum....looks amazing.

:smile:

14. Aug 24, 2005 #13
    I really have no idea about the maintenance but they have the binoculars you can put a quarter in and look through. Noting that Mt. Rushmore was started about 1930, looking up close at the faces through the binoculars it is really starting to look weathered. I cannot imagine what they have to do to maintain the carvings but I imagine it takes a considerable effort.

I have been told it looks amazing when you see it at night with the flood lights to illuminate it but we needed to get a move on so I never had the opportunity to view at it at night time. Next year I think I will make a point of it. :smile:

Thankyou everyone for the kind comments....

Regards

15. Aug 24, 2005 #14
    Awsome shirt towny. :biggrin:
    Okay, I know Washington and Lincoln, but who are the other two?

16. Aug 24, 2005 #15
    Thanks I won it from the integration bee at my school. My goal is to win the integration bee every year until I graduate.

Thomas Jefferson is to the right of Washington, he was the third president and the author of the Declaration of Independence. Theodore Roosevelt is next to Jefferson, he was the 25th president. If you look at the picture you notice an area to the left of Washington was carved away. That was suppose to be where Lincoln would go but things didn't work out so they changed things up a bit.

17. Aug 24, 2005 #16

Astronuc

Keep the wife too! :biggrin:

18. Aug 24, 2005 #17
    :biggrin: No comment.......(the wife sometimes reads these forums too)

19. Aug 25, 2005 #18
    I will beet They gonna put Bush head besides those four guys.

20. Aug 25, 2005 #19

Mk

Stoned, do you err happen to be posting stoned?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?