Visualising Torsion Tensor: Is There a Picture?

In summary: The paper by Hehl mentioned in your summary is a great resource for understanding torsion. It talks about how torsion is related to various geometric properties of a manifold, and has diagrams to help illustrate the concepts. It's a bit dense reading, but definitely worth reading if you're interested in the topic.
chartery
As I understand it, parallel transport of a vector around a closed loop on a manifold can lead (in the tangent space) to 1) an angular change, given by the Riemann curvature tensor or, 2) a translational defect given by the Torsion tensor.

I can see how the looping on the curvature of a 2D sphere leads to such a changed angle. Is there any equivalent representation of the features of a 2D manifold that would help me visualise pictorially how torsion leads to a translational defect?

Also, is there an easy way to understand how an intrinsic translational defect can be thought of as a generalisation of an extrinsic rotation in flat space?

Physics news on Phys.org
The best I can do
is to point you to possibly interesting reading:

a very long set of discussions at
https://mathoverflow.net/questions/20493/what-is-torsion-in-differential-geometry-intuitively

One answer points to a paper by Hehl
"Elie Cartan's torsion in geometry and in field theory, an essay"
https://arxiv.org/abs/0711.1535
which draws on pg. 3
1673665737807.png

Likes LittleSchwinger, topsquark, vanhees71 and 2 others
Isn't the (non)existence of torsion a property of the connection, rather than the manifold? There exists a unique metric-compatible connection that leads to zero torsion. So you can't do anything like the illustration of curved manifolds by embedding a 2-sphere because you can always pick a connection that leads to zero torsion.

But presumably you can also pick a connection that leads to non-zero torsion even in quite trivial cases. Thus (I think!) you could have torsion on a flat 2d plane by picking a non-trivial connection. As far as I understand it, the connection would (via the covariant derivative and hence parallel transport) affect what it means to "travel in a straight line". So you could pick a connection such that the un-accelerated path of a particle on the plane was a parabola (or something) while the shortest distance between two points remained what Euclid would call a straight line.

Last edited:
Likes topsquark
You are right, there's a unique metric compatible torsion-free connection on a Riemannian manifold, and it's given by the usual Christoffel symbols wrt. a coordinate basis, and by definition a Riemannian manifold is the one, for which the affine connection is defined as this unique torsion-free connection.

However, there are also metric-compatbile connections that are not torsion-free. Then you get a more general type of manifold, an Einstein-Cartan manifold. If you want to define fields with spin, in general you need these more general manifolds. For a review, see

https://doi.org/10.1103/RevModPhys.48.393

Likes LittleSchwinger, topsquark and Ibix
vanhees71 said:
However, there are also metric-compatbile connections that are not torsion-free.
Yes, metric compatibility and torsion free-ness are separate choices. I didn't state that clearly.

Likes topsquark and vanhees71
Thanks all. I guess I should have been clearer about not presuming the manifold was Riemannian. I had seen the mathoverflow link, but find algebra only helps once I have some visual handle on a concept, however simplistic.

On rereading Hehl's paper (https://arxiv.org/abs/0711.1535), the following seems to me to fit the bill:

1673707541910.png

Figure 2: Schematic view on a two-dimensional Cosserat continuum: Undeformed
initial state.

1673707621610.png

Figure 11: Deformation of a cubic crystal by edge dislocations of type α121:
The relative orientations of the lattice plains in 2-direction change. A vector
in x2-direction will rotate, if parallelly displaced along the x1-direction. As
a consequence a contortion κ112 emerges and the closure failure occur of the
“infinitesimal” parallelogram.Although I'm not smart/knowledgeable enough to decide which was the more appropriate:

1673708264923.png
Figure 4: Homogeneous contortion
1673708335241.png

Figure 6: Conventional rotation ∂[1u2] of the “particles” of a Cosserat continuum
caused by an inhomogeneous strain.

1. What is a torsion tensor?

A torsion tensor is a mathematical concept used in the study of differential geometry and physics. It describes the twisting or rotation of a vector field in three-dimensional space.

2. How is the torsion tensor related to visualisation?

The torsion tensor can be visualised as a three-dimensional object with six independent components, represented by arrows or vectors. These components can be manipulated and rotated to show how the vector field twists and turns in space.

3. Can the torsion tensor be visualised in two dimensions?

No, the torsion tensor is a three-dimensional concept and cannot be fully visualised in two dimensions. However, certain aspects of the tensor can be represented in two dimensions, such as the direction and magnitude of the twisting.

4. How is the torsion tensor used in physics?

In physics, the torsion tensor is used to describe the curvature and rotation of space-time in Einstein's theory of general relativity. It is also used in the study of elasticity and fluid mechanics.

5. Are there any real-world applications of visualising the torsion tensor?

Yes, visualising the torsion tensor can be useful in fields such as engineering, material science, and computer graphics. It can help in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects under stress or deformation, and in creating realistic simulations of fluid flow and other physical phenomena.