Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Picture of our galaxy

1. Sep 17, 2009 #1
    How have we taken the picture of our own galaxy? All the milkyway pictures look like taken from outside the galaxy.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What pictures? Can you provide a link?

4. Sep 17, 2009 #3
    You need a link to see the picture of our galaxy? Never mind.

5. Sep 17, 2009 #4
    There are images of our galaxy from the outside? I would love a link too.

6. Sep 17, 2009 #5
    I said it looks like. I would also be interested to see our galaxy's picture from outside.

7. Sep 17, 2009 #6
    Then what pictures were you talking about in the OP?

When you look on the internet for pictures of the milky way the pictures you see of the galaxy from an outside perspective are all OTHER galaxies. They just appear similar to what our own galaxy would probably look like.

8. Sep 17, 2009 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Me too!

I'd also like to talk to the person that took them...

9. Sep 17, 2009 #8
    The pictures he is talking about are not pictures of other galaxies, but the artist conceptions you always see (seriously how do you guys not know what he is talking about)

10. Sep 17, 2009 #9

turbo

Gold Member

We have barely gotten probes out of our solar system. I sure would like to meet the folks that have imaged the MW from outside the galaxy. They'd be real old, though and might be cranky - best not to tick them off.

11. Sep 17, 2009 #10

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

12. Sep 17, 2009 #11

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We have never taken a picture of our own galaxy from the outside. The Milky Way is some 100,000 light-years across, so you'd probably need to be 100,000 light-years away to really get a photograph of it. Since we've only had robotic spacecraft for some fifty years, none of which travel anywhere near the speed of light, it's clear that it would be quite some time before any such photograph could ever be made.

Astronomers spend a lot of time mapping the Milky Way, determining its structure from within. They have determined that the galaxy has structure, and spiral arms, such as the Perseus and Sagittarius arms. That information allows artists to make pretty good conceptual pictures of what it would look like from far away.

- Warren

13. Sep 17, 2009 #12

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This thread cracked me. :rofl:

It would be an interesting project to simulate an image of the Milky Way from the outside using the images and data we've taken from inside. Perhaps not so scientifically interesting... but the press would like it.

14. Sep 17, 2009 #13
    I see. I never thought the milkyway picture is completely an artist's impression (of course, with scientific evidence given in Austronuc's link http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/milkyway.html). I was assuming it was an extrapolation of the pictures of the nearby stars.

I wonder how they pin point our sun's location within the galaxy.

15. Sep 17, 2009 #14

russ_watters

They probably do, but the OP was incoherent, so they were getting him to clarify what he meant. Sometimes it helps a person figure out the answer for themselves.

16. Sep 17, 2009 #15

russ_watters

I would think we'd only be able to simulate a small portion of it, though. Anything more than a few thousand light years away (guess) would be obscured by dust/gas.

17. Sep 17, 2009 #16

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's certainly true -- it might be more accurate to say, though, that we'd be able to simulate it with decreasing precision the further one gets from the sun. On the level of individual stars, the gas and dust wouldn't even be the limiting factor, since our optical surveys haven't even begun to probe the entire unobscured volume of the galaxy. On much larger distances, we do have crude maps of the galaxy in wavelengths that can penetrate the gas and dust, such as radio and infrared, so we could use that information to make inferences about emission in other wavebands.

Perhaps even more interesting than the image itself would be its development with time. With the recent observations from SDSS and the coming of LSST, it's likely to see a great deal of improvement in the near future.

18. Sep 17, 2009 #17

DaveC426913

Gold Member

They do. :wink:

EseehC, you have made an assumption in the absence of facts.

Is he referring to artist conceptions? Or is he referring to real photos of other galaxies? We don't know unless he gives us references.

You may very well be giving him misinformation. Which is why we ask questions.

19. Sep 17, 2009 #18
    I felt the earlier responses were a bit rude and sarcastic.

I thought my question was clear. Seems like I was wrong.

20. Sep 17, 2009 #19
    "artist conceptions" was the answer to my question. I cannot put that in my question.
    I clearly mentioned in my OP that it is about our galaxy.

21. Sep 17, 2009 #20

berkeman

Certainly didn't mean to be rude, but yes, we were being a little bit sarcastic. Your original post (OP) was quite clear about "taking pictures"

which is physically impossible. That's why I asked for a link, so that you would go trying to find one, and see for yourself that none exist.

How does that old saying go?... "Give a person a fish, feed them for that day. Teach a person how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime." o:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook