Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Picture puzzle

1. May 12, 2005 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2005 #2
    Perhaps a Rainbow shifting its colors every row down

4. May 13, 2005 #3
    I believe this might be what you were going for? Can't put it in white... it's an image :P [Attached]

Attached Files:

5. May 13, 2005 #4
    I don't think you can attach images in this forum--at least, I can't view it. It says I do not have permission to access the page. Put it on ImageShack. (http://www.imageshack.us/, you don't even have to register)

6. May 13, 2005 #5
    Huh, now I am seeing it. Anyway, nope, that's not it.

By the way, the red blocks on the top and left are a necessary part of the image, although yours is not correct even if you add them back in.

Last edited: May 13, 2005
  7. May 13, 2005 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Attached Files:

8. May 13, 2005 #7
    This was interesting. I found a few solutions; but this is the one I liked most and thought was most probable.

My solution

9. May 13, 2005 #8
    I can't see this one or the other one posted. I'm getting the same error BicycleTree was getting about permissions. Do you know what that is?

10. May 13, 2005 #9
    It didn't work for me until I clicked "log out" on the permission denied page and then it showed a small thumbnail.

11. May 13, 2005 #10
    You got it, Dave! But can you explain it?

12. May 13, 2005 #11
  13. May 13, 2005 #12
    Mind explaining that one? I can't figure out what your pattern is though it looks like you had something in mind.

14. May 14, 2005 #13
    Okay, time to explain the puzzle:

The puzzle is the multiplication table for the integers mod 7. Red = 0, orange = 1, yellow = 2, green = 3, blue = 4, indigo = 5, violet = 6.

Alternatively, you can think of it like this: sampling from the colors ROYGBIV in order, so that on the first line each square is the same color as the previous square, on the second line each square is one color cycled ahead from the previous square, on the third line each square is two colors cycled ahead from the previous square, and so on down to each square is six colors cycled ahead from the previous square on line 7.

15. May 14, 2005 #14
    Sure!

I figured that the red was actually part of the pattern, not just part of the border for the image. So I realized that the next inner loop (after the multicolored one) also has two sides (top and left side) which were not defined. So, since the top and left side of the bigger portion were red, I added that as a border there. Then I constructed it like the outer multi-colored design... that is... I took what color was in one corner and put it also in the other corner... also with the one next to the corner I put next to that same corner on the other side. Then to find what other color was missing I took the relation between the two given colors (orange and lavender) and realized that going from right to left going back two spaces it goes from orange to lavendar to green. Thus I used Green as my last color for that layer. Then the only other logical color for the middle would be red as it is part of the pattern. I actually did another one similar to the one that Dave posted; but not quite the same.

16. May 14, 2005 #15
    I see how Dave got his... at least in my own mind. Take the column to the left (right of the red column) it has a pattern.
    1st Column: Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Lavander, Pink.
    2nd Column: Yellow (skip 1), blue (skip 1), Pink (skip 1 - red in this case), Orange (skip 1), Green (skip 1), Lavander.
    3rd Column: Green (skip 2), Pink (skip 2), Yellow... etc...
    4th Column: Blue (skip 3), Orange (skip 3), Lavander (skip 3) ... etc...
    ... etc...

Does that make sense?

17. May 14, 2005 #16
    Okay on your first post--not the simplest pattern, I'd say, though.

Yes, for your second post--I also posted an alternative explanation (post # 13).

18. May 14, 2005 #17
    Not the simplest pattern, no; but my brain doesn't always like the simple things. :biggrin: I tend to over-complicate things when I think it's going to be quite complex.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?