Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pictures from my new place

1. Jan 19, 2008 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Bear with me, I'm learning how to use my camera phone and I've just e-mailed these to myself from my phone. When I get my SD adaptor hopefully they'll look better.

This is from my bedroom window
    [​IMG]

From the patio
    [​IMG]

From the back door (you can see how quickly the yard drops off into the ravine) this is where I fell and broke my arm
    [​IMG]

This is sitting at my computer
    [​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2008 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks nice! I wanna see some squirrel pics!!

4. Jan 19, 2008 #3

Evo

You can see their footprints in the one from my back door, but the Fruit Bat has been in and out so much today that they've been staying away.

5. Jan 19, 2008 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look like a nice area to live.

6. Jan 19, 2008 #5

Evo

It's much prettier than the cow pasture I used to live on. :biggrin:

7. Jan 19, 2008 #6

Evo

Now if the notagoshawk returns, I can take a picture of it. :devil:

8. Jan 19, 2008 #7

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Who/what is notashosgawk ?

9. Jan 19, 2008 #8

Evo

Ah, the notagoshawk. I saw a HUMONGOUS bird that defies identification, but is definitely in the raptor family, outside of my apartment a few months ago. We were all trying to figure out what it was and a lot of people said it was some type of goshawk. Well, it's not a goshawk. "notagoshawk" <cough> It became a bit of a joke. :uhh: :redface:

I think the last consensus was that it might be a red tailed hawk since they can vary so greatly that not even experts are able to positively identify them.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  10. Jan 19, 2008 #9

Astronuc

Nice pics! Nice neighborhood!

You broke your arm when you fell into the ravine?!

Please take pictures of the goshawk (or ferruginous, or red-tailed hawk) when it returns. :biggrin:

The possiblynotagoshawk could have been a hybrid.

How 'bout we call it Evo's Hawk? :approve:

11. Jan 19, 2008 #10

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Evo, how are you with flowers/gardening? Seems like a nice area for either.

12. Jan 19, 2008 #11

Evo

No, I fell just a few feet from the edge. Actually, in hindsight, it was probably a lucky fall, as I had never been outside before and it was dark. If I hadn't fallen, I might have gone right over the edge and seriously hurt myself and the Fruit Bat. Did I mention that I apparently fell on the Fruit Bat and that he suffered a broken toe? Poor little thing never said a word, it wasn't until we had a nail clipping a couple of weeks later that I discovered it.

It HAS to return so I can vindicate myself.

:approve:

13. Jan 19, 2008 #12
    What a nice open area you have to look at. And what is great, you don't need to mow or trim anything!

14. Jan 19, 2008 #13

Evo

See the branch that's broken off in the middle second pane down in the window? He was on that angled branch just below the top of that branch, that's where the squirrels charged at him. I had a very clear view of him for the 30 minutes he was there.

[​IMG]

15. Jan 19, 2008 #14

Astronuc

You'll need a closeup of Evo's Hawk so that we can identify it.

Did you observe the bird in the morning or afternoon?

16. Jan 19, 2008 #15

Most my e-mails come from myself :frown:

Those pictures are really nice from a phone, and the place, well it looks amazing! I wish it snowed in England! (More than once)

17. Jan 19, 2008 #16

Evo

That is an issue I am going to have to deal with - patio gardening. I have a large stone arch over the patio which looks very cool, but shades everything. I love gardening and I will probably have to install artificial lighting in order to successfully grow vegetables. Astronuc and turbo-1 are guiding me on this. :approve:

Heh, you'd think that would have put me out of harms way, instead I break my arm the first day!! I have the Evo Child to thank as she spent weeks touring dozens of places to find something that would be right for me.

It had to be morning or early afternoon.

It's -12 degrees centigrade here. There is a trade off to getting snow. And thanks, yes, it's lovely here. No one would know I am less than 2 miles from...the Blue Atrocity!! :surprised https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1542557&postcount=10

18. Jan 19, 2008 #17

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why not make a spring/summer garden near the outside wall (of your home)? My neighbor grows colorful flowers within a 8' by 2' strip on the outside.

19. Jan 19, 2008 #18
  20. Jan 19, 2008 #19

Evo

No, thank goodness I can't see it. It is not harmonious with the surroundings. It makes no sense. I could see it on a playground, perhaps. A playground in a galaxy far, far away. :wink:

21. Jan 19, 2008 #20
    Or maybe the thought left in the creators mind, and the money kept in the tax payers pocket :approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?