Is it Possible to Capture a Complete Image of Earth from Space?

In summary: Well, we don't discuss personal theories here at the PF. If you are having problems with some math in your calculations, you can post that (prefereably type it into the forum, rather than posting fuzzy cell phone pictures). There is a LaTeX tutorial here to help you learn to type equations:
Mr Lollipop
I've been messing around with some circle theorems and found that you couldn't possibly take a picture of a full Earth from a single shot. Is this impossible? Is their some math to prove otherwise, I'm really stuck.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Mr Lollipop said:
I've been messing around with some circle theorems and found that you couldn't possibly take a picture of a full Earth from a single shot. Is this impossible? Is their some math to prove otherwise, I'm really stuck.
Welcome to the PF.

What distance are you using for your calculations?

Mr Lollipop said:
Huh? Do you mean a single shot taking a pic of the entire surface of the Earth? That's rather trivially impossible so I'm thinking you must be asking something else but I can't figure out what.

I'm guessing he means a full hemisphere, but we'll see what his reply is...

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

What distance are you using for your calculations?
Screenshot_20170530-164914_1.jpg

I used the ISS space station data of the horizon, tried to calculate surface area underneath using two separate techniques. I also drew out some diagrams involving circles and spheres, to my dismay came across some irregularities.

Thank-you FP [emoji1]

Mr Lollipop said:
View attachment 204542

I used the ISS space station data of the horizon, tried to calculate surface area underneath using two separate techniques. I also drew out some diagrams involving circles and spheres, to my dismay came across some irregularities.

Thank-you FP [emoji1]
Could you please describe in words what "irregularities" you are finding?

berkeman said:
Could you please describe in words what "irregularities" you are finding?
I have an overall theory, but this image could probably describe it better than I can. Sorta touching on quantum mechanics.

shape_of_future.jpg

Mr Lollipop said:
I have an overall theory, but this image could probably describe it better than I can. Sorta touching on quantum mechanics.

View attachment 204543
Well, we don't discuss personal theories here at the PF. If you are having problems with some math in your calculations, you can post that (prefereably type it into the forum, rather than posting fuzzy cell phone pictures). There is a LaTeX tutorial here to help you learn to type equations:

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Likes jim mcnamara
I don't think they're personal theories because I'd be surprised if nobody reached similar conclusion. But cheers, I will try to better my layout.

It seems this thread has multiple issues. Please repost what you have in the Topology and Analysis forums. It does not appear to have anything to do with Quantum Mechanics.

Thank you.

1. How are pictures of Earth from space taken?

The most common way to take pictures of Earth from space is by using satellites equipped with cameras. These satellites orbit the Earth and capture images of the planet from different angles and distances. Another method is taking pictures from spacecrafts or space stations that have cameras on board.

2. Why are pictures of Earth from space important?

Pictures of Earth from space provide valuable information about the planet's surface, atmosphere, and weather patterns. They also help us monitor changes in the environment, such as deforestation, pollution, and natural disasters. Additionally, these images can inspire people to appreciate and protect our planet.

3. Can pictures of Earth from space be manipulated?

Yes, pictures of Earth from space can be manipulated. Like any other image, they can be edited or enhanced for different purposes. However, most of the pictures released by space agencies are not manipulated and show the Earth's true appearance.

4. How do scientists use pictures of Earth from space?

Scientists use pictures of Earth from space for various purposes. They can analyze the images to study changes in the Earth's surface, track weather patterns, and monitor natural phenomena. These pictures also help scientists understand the Earth's climate and its impact on our planet.

5. Are there any challenges to taking pictures of Earth from space?

Yes, there are several challenges to taking pictures of Earth from space. The quality of the images can be affected by factors such as weather conditions, sunlight, and the position of the satellite or spacecraft. Additionally, maintaining and operating these imaging systems in space can be technically challenging and expensive.