Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pictures of Earth from space

1. May 30, 2017 #1
    I've been messing around with some circle theorems and found that you couldn't possibly take a picture of a full Earth from a single shot. Is this impossible? Is their some math to prove otherwise, I'm really stuck.

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

What distance are you using for your calculations?

4. May 30, 2017 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Huh? Do you mean a single shot taking a pic of the entire surface of the Earth? That's rather trivially impossible so I'm thinking you must be asking something else but I can't figure out what.

5. May 30, 2017 #4

berkeman

I'm guessing he means a full hemisphere, but we'll see what his reply is...

6. May 30, 2017 #5
    Screenshot_20170530-164914_1.jpg

I used the ISS space station data of the horizon, tried to calculate surface area underneath using two separate techniques. I also drew out some diagrams involving circles and spheres, to my dismay came across some irregularities.

Thank-you FP

7. May 30, 2017 #6

berkeman

Could you please describe in words what "irregularities" you are finding?

8. May 30, 2017 #7
    I have an overall theory, but this image could probably describe it better than I can. Sorta touching on quantum mechanics.

shape_of_future.jpg

9. May 30, 2017 #8

berkeman

Well, we don't discuss personal theories here at the PF. If you are having problems with some math in your calculations, you can post that (prefereably type it into the forum, rather than posting fuzzy cell phone pictures). There is a LaTeX tutorial here to help you learn to type equations:

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

10. May 30, 2017 #9
    I don't think they're personal theories because I'd be surprised if nobody reached similar conclusion. But cheers, I will try to better my layout.

11. May 30, 2017 #10

jim mcnamara

It seems this thread has multiple issues. Please repost what you have in the Topology and Analysis forums. It does not appear to have anything to do with Quantum Mechanics.

Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook