Pictures of your personal libraries or bookshelves

In summary: I love reading "The Catcher in the Rye" because it's a really well written novel that is easy to follow.
docnet
Gold Member
I love seeing other people's libraries (or bookshelves) because they give me inspiration to plan my dream library, and books ware what make a home feel like home. Here is my very humble "library" in my college dorm room. Please, share pictures of your personal libraries or other libraries that you like. Please post as many pictures as you like!

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 10.41.24 PM.png

Likes Math100, Leo Liu, pinball1970 and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
I’m sure your library will grow beyond these few books and expand into many other areas of interest beyond physics and biology.

My own library covers a range of interests from physics to martial arts to eastern philosophy to computer science as well as science fiction/fantasy and just some great classical books like Sherlock Holmes and Dulaires Greek Mythology to name a few.

Likes docnet
I'm very proud of my bookshelf, but not my book collection.
20211111_070711.jpg20211111_070711.jpg
20211111_070711.jpg

Linear algebra, on the other side Newtonan physics... very basic

• Haha
Likes BillTre, OCR, pinball1970 and 1 other person
jedishrfu said:
I’m sure your library will grow beyond these few books and expand into many other areas of interest beyond physics and biology.

My own library covers a range of interests from physics to martial arts to eastern philosophy to computer science as well as science fiction/fantasy and just some great classical books like Sherlock Holmes and Dulaires Greek Mythology to name a few.
pictures please!?

General fiction, natural resources, motor vehicles. About six shelves are for my wife's books, the rest are mine.
Library1.jpg

Mostly engineering books.
Library2.jpg

I read instead of watching television, and the books just sort of seem to accumulate.

• Love
  • Wow
Likes Math100, Leo Liu, PhDeezNutz and 11 others
I used to have lots of books on shelves, but a few years ago I downsized and probably got rid of ~90%. Now my remaining books are not well organized on shelves.

Instead, I now have topic specific piles of books in various places.
Here is a pile covering about half of my origin of life project:

IMG_0321.JPG

Interestingly, I have at least three books with the name "What is Life?".
I consider about 50% of these books to be really good.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Astronuc, Hamiltonian and docnet
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Flive.staticflickr.com%2F65535%2F50763587677_56a785b029_b_d.jpg&hash=b13bd382574a2fcddf24c65cd486174d
One shelf in the den.

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Flive.staticflickr.com%2F65535%2F50763847687_8e14fffc20_b_d.jpg&hash=4ab5a1bdee28d1c1dd8cb120be2a8fc8
Shop desk shelf.

Likes Astronuc, pinball1970, BillTre and 2 others
nsaspook said:
One shelf in the den.
Respect! Thank you for your service. :smile:

64021226446__A6D29226-BBEB-45C0-A312-24EEEF42A7FB.jpg

The Indian/Biology books are mainly my roommate's. Excuse the lamp placement, our apartment is small!

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, mcastillo356, OCR and 1 other person
romsofia said:
View attachment 292134

The Indian/Biology books are mainly my roommate's. Excuse the lamp placement, our apartment is small!
chemistry, biology, gravitation ... wow

docnet said:
chemistry, biology, gravitation ... wow
Well, he is doing a PhD in molecular biology, while I'm doing one in physics. My thesis is dealing with gravitational waves/binary black holes, and I'm not the best relativist in the world, so getting perspectives from multiple books has helped me. I prefer tangible books over digital, so I had to shell out some cash since I was unable to access my school library during Covid : ^(

Likes berkeman, pinball1970 and docnet
mebooks.jpeg

It ain't much, but it's honest work.

• Love
Likes Math100, pinball1970 and docnet
I think there was at least one old thread regarding this topic.
I'm genuinely curious about @Vanadium 50 's bookshelf.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes pinball1970 and Hamiltonian
Here is mine. I have other books hanging around since I don't have enough space there.

• Love
Likes BillTre, docnet and Hamiltonian
Part of my collection

Attachments

• bookshelf.jpg
    bookshelf.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Love
Likes BillTre, docnet and Hamiltonian
Dr Transport said:
Part of my collection
Funny how I can spot my "Principles of Optics" in your collection.
Idem with "The selfish gene" in the first post. Same books, same edition, etc.

• Haha
Likes docnet
fluidistic said:
Funny how I can spot my "Principles of Optics" in your collection.
Idem with "The selfish gene" in the first post. Same books, same edition, etc.
Autographed by Emil Wolf also...

Likes fluidistic, docnet and Hamiltonian
Dr Transport said:
Autographed by Emil Wolf also...
Not a small detail to be overlooked :) Nice.

docnet said:
I love seeing other people's libraries (or bookshelves) because they give me inspiration to plan my dream library, and books ware what make a home feel like home. Here is my very humble "library" in my college dorm room. Please, share pictures of your personal libraries or other libraries that you like. Please post as many pictures as you like!

View attachment 292104
I expected more replies to this. My books have been in a state of transition so I decided organise them for an image. I ended up reading a fair bit then fell asleep. I will get round to it! Great idea for a thread.

Likes Hamiltonian and docnet
University has sucked all the joy of leisure reading for me, so my bookshelf mainly consists of classics that I haven't read, which total to a price that is 1-2 mandatory textbooks.

pinball1970 said:
I expected more replies to this. My books have been in a state of transition so I decided organise them for an image. I ended up reading a fair bit then fell asleep. I will get round to it! Great idea for a thread.
i'm surprised that there are not more replies as well. I expected that there are members who have quite the collection of books.

Likes pinball1970 and Hamiltonian
docnet said:
i'm surprised that there are not more replies as well. I expected that there are members who have quite the collection of books.
We're too busy reading to dig the camera out of the closet! :wink:

• Haha
Likes pinball1970 and Bystander
Theres always a potential security problem in showing any photo online. Some of us won't risk that exposure.

There’s been cases where someone unwittingly posted a cubical photo and in the background we’re their accounts and passwords on a post it note.

it’s hard to imagine how someone with malice might use a photo of a library but it might be a gateway to identity theft Or some other social engineering scheme.

• Informative
  • Sad
Likes fluidistic, pinball1970 and mcastillo356
how do you all feel about what's the ideal size of a home library? is there a point where a home library is too large to have a personal feeling? I would love to have a home library that takes up a medium sized room in a home, and that has enough sitting space for 3-4 people, i.e.
Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 9.47.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 9.48.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 9.48.35 AM.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Math100, PhDeezNutz, Astronuc and 4 others
It'd be interesting to know the approximate proportion of number of pages read to total number of pages in the library. I can't recall the last time that I read a physics book end-to-end; in most cases I only need to look at one or two chapters. :)

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu, BillTre and docnet
ergospherical said:
It'd be interesting to know the approximate proportion of number of pages read to total number of pages in the library. I can't recall the last time that I read a physics book end-to-end; in most cases I only need to look at one or two chapters. :)
Good point. I use mine as reference books. Who sits down with 'GENES VIII' 958 pages, on a Sunday afternoon and says, 'Right, let's break the back of this bad boy.'

• Haha
Likes BillTre, ergospherical and docnet
I had to find it, turns out I only have GENES V

Attachments

• IMG_20211114_154421.jpg
    IMG_20211114_154421.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Haha
Likes Hamiltonian and docnet
Mine is pretty low especially in later years where I’m lucky if I have the time to read and don’t fall asleep from the effort.

Likes pinball1970 and docnet
jedishrfu said:
Theres always a potential security problem in showing any photo online. Some of us won't risk that exposure.

There’s been cases where someone unwittingly posted a cubical photo and in the background we’re their accounts and passwords on a post it note.

it’s hard to imagine how someone with malice might use a photo of a library but it might be a gateway to identity theft Or some other social engineering scheme.
Now that I think of it, there might be some gps coordinates in the metadata of the picture... Hell! I removed the picture I posted :( just in case...

Likes jedishrfu

1. What is the purpose of taking pictures of your personal library or bookshelf?

Taking pictures of your personal library or bookshelf is a fun way to showcase your book collection and share your reading interests with others. It can also serve as a form of inspiration for organizing and decorating your own bookshelves.

2. How can I make my personal library or bookshelf look aesthetically pleasing in pictures?

Some tips for making your personal library or bookshelf look aesthetically pleasing in pictures include organizing your books by color or size, adding decorative items such as plants or bookends, and ensuring proper lighting. You can also play around with different angles and perspectives to find the best composition.

3. Is there a specific way to arrange books in a picture of a personal library or bookshelf?

There is no right or wrong way to arrange books in a picture of a personal library or bookshelf. It ultimately depends on personal preference and what looks visually appealing to you. Some people prefer to organize their books by genre, while others may prefer a more random arrangement.

4. How do I take a good picture of a large personal library or bookshelf?

To take a good picture of a large personal library or bookshelf, try to capture the entire space in the frame while also focusing on specific details or sections that you want to highlight. You can also use a wide-angle lens or take multiple shots and stitch them together to create a panoramic view.

5. Can I use filters or editing to enhance my pictures of personal libraries or bookshelves?

Yes, you can use filters or editing to enhance your pictures of personal libraries or bookshelves. However, it's important to use these tools in moderation and not alter the image too much, as the purpose of these pictures is to showcase your own personal collection and not create a perfect or unrealistic representation.