Piece-wise defined functions

In summary, the conversation discusses a piecewise-defined function, its transformations, and the attempt to sketch its graph. The function has three formulas for different intervals and is made up of linear equations. The transformations h(t) and k(t) involve shifting and scaling the function. The solution also includes a sketch of the function using Derive6.
tics

Homework Statement

Please help me sketch the graph of the given piecewiswe-defined function and its transformations:
The function f(t)={t+4 ;-4<=t<0
={-3/2(t)+10 ; 0<=t<2
={1/2(t) ; 2<=t<=4

Homework Equations

The transformations of the function of f(t) are:
h(t)= f(t)-2 and k(t)= 3-2f(t-2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that a piecewise function is defined with different
formulas. In this case, all formulas are linear or straight lines in
a form of y=mx+c.Here I'm not sure: The first formula; f(t)= t+4,
provided -4<=t<0 is a line with a of slope of 1 and an x-intercept
of t=4; but we are only supposed to sketch that part of a line that
lies to the left or at t=4.Therefore,f(4)=4+4=8 :fixed endpoint of
the ray is (4,8)

Thank

Physics news on Phys.org
tics said:

Homework Statement

Please help me sketch the graph of the given piecewiswe-defined function and its transformations:
The function f(t)={t+4 ;-4<=t<0
={-3/2(t)+10 ; 0<=t<2
={1/2(t) ; 2<=t<=4

Homework Equations

The transformations of the function of f(t) are:
h(t)= f(t)-2 and k(t)= 3-2f(t-2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that a piecewise function is defined with different
formulas. In this case, all formulas are linear or straight lines in
a form of y=mx+c.Here I'm not sure: The first formula; f(t)= t+4,
provided -4<=t<0 is a line with a of slope of 1 and an x-intercept
of t=4; but we are only supposed to sketch that part of a line that
lies to the left or at t=4.Therefore,f(4)=4+4=8 :fixed endpoint of
the ray is (4,8)

Thank
What you are saying is correct so I don't see what your difficulty is.

The graph of y= t+ 4 is a straight line. When t= -4, y= 0 and when t= 0, y= 4 so it is straight line segment with endpoints (-4, 0) and (0, 4). It includes (-4, 0) but not (0, 4).

The graph of (-3/2)t+ 10 is a straight line segment with endpoints (0, 10) and (2, 7). It includes (0, 10) but not (2, 7).

The graph of (1/2)t is a straight line segment with endpoints (1, 1) and (4, 2). It includes both (1, 1) and (4, 2).

HallsofIvy said:
What you are saying is correct so I don't see what your difficulty is.

The graph of y= t+ 4 is a straight line. When t= -4, y= 0 and when t= 0, y= 4 so it is straight line segment with endpoints (-4, 0) and (0, 4). It includes (-4, 0) but not (0, 4).

The graph of (-3/2)t+ 10 is a straight line segment with endpoints (0, 10) and (2, 7). It includes (0, 10) but not (2, 7).

The graph of (1/2)t is a straight line segment with endpoints (1, 1) and (4, 2). It includes both (1, 1) and (4, 2).

Hi HallsofIvy, I understand now, but the last graph isn't supposed to be (2,1) because when t=2 ,y=1...I think you made a little error.

I tried to plot the f(t) using Derive6, here is my sketch below: I'm not sure with the transformations, h(t) and k(t). Please help. Thanks

Attachments

• MATHEMAICS 3 MAT351T.doc
    52.5 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

1. What is a piece-wise defined function?

A piece-wise defined function is a mathematical function that is defined by different equations or rules for different intervals or sections of the domain. This means that the function may have different expressions or behaviors for different input values.

2. How are piece-wise defined functions represented?

Piece-wise defined functions are typically represented using a combination of mathematical notation and graphing. The different equations or rules for each section of the domain are often separated by brackets or parentheses, and the graph may have distinct sections or discontinuities.

3. What are some common applications of piece-wise defined functions?

Piece-wise defined functions are commonly used in modeling real-world phenomena that have different behaviors or patterns in different situations. For example, in physics, a piece-wise defined function may be used to describe the motion of an object that experiences different forces at different times.

4. How do you find the domain of a piece-wise defined function?

The domain of a piece-wise defined function is determined by the intervals or sections given in the function's definition. The domain will be the set of all input values that satisfy the conditions for each equation or rule in the function.

5. What is the difference between a piece-wise defined function and a continuous function?

A continuous function is one that can be graphed without any breaks or jumps, meaning that the value of the function changes smoothly as the input value changes. A piece-wise defined function, on the other hand, may have different rules or behaviors for different intervals, resulting in a graph with distinct sections or discontinuities.