1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Piece wise smooth function

1. Jan 28, 2016 #1
    • Member warned about posting without the homework template
    Hello
    Here is my question
    Capture.110PNG.PNG
    So I solved Euler DE and find
    gif.gif
    and when we apply the boundary condition we obtain y=0 . My teacher said that we should write it as two different function as
    matrix%7D%20x%20%26%200%3Cx%3CH%5C%5C%20-x+1%20%26%20H%3Cx%3C1%20%5Cend%7Bmatrix%7D%5Cright.gif
    where H is (1/2).He solved this equation with this way
    gif.gif

So Here are my questions:
    a) why don't we accept the y=0 as our desire function?
    b)how can obtain (a) constant in my equation with Euler approach?because in multidisciplinary function we can't find a ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is a "multidisciplinary function"? I have never heard that term.

Anyway, is the subject matter one of Calculus of Variations, for ##J = \int_0^1 (1-y'^2)^2 dx##? If so, ##F_{y'} = -4 y'(1-y'^2) = -4 y' + 4 y'^3##, so the Euler equation gives ##F_{y} = 0 = (d/dx) F_{y'}##, or ##(3 y'^2- 1) y'' = 0##, so either ##y'' = 0## or ##y' = \pm 1/ \sqrt{3}##.

On the other hand, we can change variables to ##y'= z##, to get the problem
    [tex] \min \:K(z) = \int_0^1 (1-z^2)^2 \, dx [/tex]
    with no specified boundary conditions on ##z(0), z(1)##. Without using the Euler-Lagrange equation at all we see that we can make ##K(z) = 0## by taking ##z(t)^2 = 1## for all ##t##, and that gives ##x'(t) = \pm 1##, as your instructor said. Certainly that is an optimal solution, since ##K(z) \geq 0## for all PWS functions ##z(t)##, and ##K(z) = 0## is attained by the solution where ##z(t)^2 = 1 \; \forall \, t##.

The interesting thing about this problem is that the so-called necessary conditions of Euler and Lagrange give the wrong solution. In other words, the Euler-Lagrange equations fail! I suspect that the reason lies in some violation of the hypotheses that underlie the Euler-Lagrange derivation (and which are normally not stated or are ignored when solving problems).

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted