Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Piecewise-defined function

1. Apr 16, 2006 #1
    A phone company offers a deal by which a long distance phone call costs .99 cents for the first 20 minutes and .07 per minute thereafter. Write a piecewise-defined function for the cost C of making a phone call that lasts x minutes.

So I did this:

f(x) { .99(6) 0<= x
    .99(20) 0=> x >= 20

Not a clue what I'm doing...:mad: :mad: :mad:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2006 #2

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Okay, say you make a x-minute phone call (x <= 20), i.e a phone call that lasts no longer than 20 minutes. How much will you have to pay if you know that each minute costs you .99 cents?
    ------------------------
    If you make a y-minute phone call (y > 20), i.e a phone call that lasts more than 20 minutes. How much will you have to pay for the first 20 minutes? How much will you have to pay for the (y - 20) minutes last? Then do you know how much will you have to pay for that whole y-minute phone call?
    ------------------------
    Your function will look like this:
    [tex]f(x) := \left\{ \begin{array}{l} ... , \quad \quad \mbox{if } 0 \leq x \leq 20 \\ ... , \quad \quad \mbox{if } x > 20 \end{array} \right.[/tex]
    Can you go from here? :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook