1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Piecewise Defined Function

1. Mar 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The equation [tex]\left| {x + a} \right| = \left| {x - b} \right|[/tex] has exactly one solution; at x=2. Find the value(s) of a and b

2. The attempt at a solution
    Here is the way in which I have approached the situation:
    [tex]
    \begin{array}{l}
    \left| {x + a} \right| = \left| {x - b} \right| \\
    x + a = x + b \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]
    this solution is not possible as the x's on either side of the equation cancel each other out, and a is not equal to b, so;
    [tex]
    \begin{array}{l}
    x + a = - x + b \\
    2x + a = b \\
    4 + a = b \\
    a = k \\
    a = k + 4 \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

However I'm not sure on my my final answer, as I have not evaluated the values for a or b, as i have left them in the term of k. However what I have interpreted from the question, I have not been given enough information. Thank you to those who reply, and correct me if anything I have stated is wrong

unique_pavadrin

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2007 #2
    Not sure how you got this step:
    [tex]
    \begin{array}{l}
    \left| {x + a} \right| = \left| {x - b} \right| \\
    x + a = x + b \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]
    If you are taking both to be positive, it should be [tex]x + a = x - b [/tex]
    Then you can kill the x's. so a=-b.

4. Mar 12, 2007 #3
    thanks for the reply theperthvan

ive used those steps as a simply does not equal -b as the x can be anywhere on the number line. by stating that a=-b, x is a fixed point at zero, which is incorrect as z is given the value of 2

or is that completely wrong?
    thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?