1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Piecewise function

1. May 20, 2005 #1
    hi,
    i have been working on an Options assignment, and i have this formula as one of my answers:

[tex]X_{t}=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}X_{t-1},&\mbox{if } S_{t} < S_{t-1}\\aS_{t},& \mbox{if } S_{t}\geq S_{t-1}\end{array}\right[/tex]

where a is a constant. the question however asks for a "single equation", would the equation(s)? i have defined above be ok? is there a way to rewrite this not using a piecewise function. hopefully you know what i mean.

thnx
    vladimir

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2005 #2

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Just a thought- find the definition of "equation" you were given. If you weren't given one...
    As for another way to write a piecewise function, why not define a function on each of your intervals (the restriction of the piecewise function to each interval) and define the piecewise function as the union of those functions? I.e., given abs: R --> R,
    [tex]\mbox{abs}(x) = \left\{\begin{array}{cc}x,&\mbox{if } x \geq 0 \\-x,& \mbox{if } x < 0 \end{array}\right[/tex]
    Let f: R+ --> R, f(x) = x and g: R- --> R, g(x) = -x. Then abs = f U g - which is almost certainly a single equation ;) Doesn't save time, but I think it works.

Last edited: May 21, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?