Piecewise function

Homework Statement

Hello I uploaded a picture of the image.

Find an expression for a function who's graph is the given curve.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first function [0,3] y= -x+3 and the second one is y=2x-6 from 3 to 5

what I dont get, is why isnt the second one [3,5], instead the answer is (3,5)..

The way I see it at that point, x=3, it can be any one of those equations...

Attachments

Answers and Replies

My thinking is because the function goes from right to left it would make sense that the first function is less than or equal to 3 but I'm not sure if thats right..

Homework Statement

Hello I uploaded a picture of the image.

Find an expression for a function who's graph is the given curve.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first function [0,3] y= -x+3 and the second one is y=2x-6 from 3 to 5

what I dont get, is why isnt the second one [3,5], instead the answer is (3,5)..

The way I see it at that point, x=3, it can be any one of those equations...
And that's why you should choose which function goes with which interval. If ##x \in [0. 3]## you use the formula y = -x + 3. If ##x \in (3, 5)##, you use the formula y = 2x - 6.

And that's why you should choose which function goes with which interval. If ##x \in [0. 3]## you use the formula y = -x + 3. If ##x \in (3, 5)##, you use the formula y = 2x - 6.
So the reason my books answer was [0,3] for y=-x + 3 was because they chose it to be that.

But if I wanted to I could choose [0,3) for y=-x+3 and [3,5] for 2x - 6 and my answer would still be valid because that's what I decided to choose?

So the reason my books answer was [0,3] for y=-x + 3 was because they chose it to be that.

But if I wanted to I could choose [0,3) for y=-x+3 and [3,5] for 2x - 6 and my answer would still be valid because that's what I decided to choose?
Yes. At x = 3, both functions have y-values of 0, so it doesn't matter how you define the endpoints of the two intervals.