How to Define a Piecewise Function in MATLAB?

In summary, a piecewise function in MATLAB is a mathematical function that has different behaviors in different parts of its domain. It can be defined using the "piecewise" or "pwlinear" functions and can be graphed using the "fplot" or "ezplot" functions. To evaluate a piecewise function at a specific point, the "subs" function can be used. While conditional statements can also be used to define a piecewise function, it is more efficient to use the built-in functions provided by MATLAB.
fiendslyr
So this problem involves computing and plotting the FFT in MATLAB. However, I do not know how to define a piecewise function in MATLAB. The function is as follows:
Code:
y_of_t = {  10cos(2*pi*2500*t), 0 <= t <= 1 msec
                0                         , else

How do I go about defining that function in MATLAB? I know how to do the plotting but just never dealt with piecewise functions in this program. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write a function using an if-else block to define the result based on t.

1. What is a piecewise function in MATLAB?

A piecewise function in MATLAB is a mathematical function that is defined by different expressions or equations for different intervals or regions of the independent variable. It is used to represent a function that has different behaviors in different parts of its domain.

2. How do I define a piecewise function in MATLAB?

In MATLAB, a piecewise function can be defined using the "piecewise" function or the "pwlinear" function. The "piecewise" function allows for the definition of different expressions for different intervals, while the "pwlinear" function allows for the definition of a piecewise linear function with a given set of points and slopes.

3. Can I graph a piecewise function in MATLAB?

Yes, you can graph a piecewise function in MATLAB using the "fplot" or "ezplot" functions. These functions allow you to plot a function over a specified range of the independent variable, and they will automatically handle the different expressions or equations defined for different intervals of the piecewise function.

4. How do I evaluate a piecewise function at a specific point in MATLAB?

To evaluate a piecewise function at a specific point in MATLAB, you can use the "subs" function. This function allows you to substitute a value for the independent variable in the piecewise function and calculate the corresponding output.

5. Can I use conditional statements to define a piecewise function in MATLAB?

Yes, you can use conditional statements such as "if" and "else" to define a piecewise function in MATLAB. However, it is usually more efficient to use the "piecewise" or "pwlinear" functions for defining piecewise functions in MATLAB.