1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Piecewise functions

1. Sep 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We started piecewise functions in calculus and I'm finding it rather difficult. This question has had me stumped for a while. I'm quite well at finding domain and range, however :).

For what value of k is the following a continuous function

2. Relevant equations

[tex]f(x)= \frac {x-2}{\sqrt {7x+2} -\sqrt{6x+4}} [/tex] [tex] if x \geq {\frac{-2}{7}}
    and x \neq 2[/tex]
    f(x) = k, if x=2

I hope this makes sense.
    3. The attempt at a solution

The problem I am having is how I can find k - the constanst. I can't [tex]\frac {x-2}{\sqrt {7x+2} -\sqrt{6x+4}} = k [/tex] since k cannot equal to 2.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2009 #2
    You want to cancel out or get rid of the denominator and rewrite the expression in a way where you don't get undefined when x=2. Try multiplying by the conjugate of the denominator.

4. Sep 27, 2009 #3
    I was thinking of just rationalizing it. But what do I do with the k then?

5. Sep 27, 2009 #4
    If you graph f(x) on a graphing calculator, you would see that the graph clearly approaches a value as x gets close to 2. That is because when you plug x=2 into the function, you get 0/0 which usually, but not always, means that the function actually approaches a value as x gets close to the value that it can't be, the one that makes the function undefined. Once you find the value k that f(x) gets close to as x approaches 2, that will be the value to make the function continuous.

Think of x(x-1)/(x-1) which is undefined at x=1 and its graph has a "hole" there. If I do some canceling, I get just x. Then I can let x=1 and see that the graph of x(x-1)/(x-1), which coincides with the graph of x, gets close to 1 as x approaches 1, just like the graph of x when x gets close to 1.

6. Sep 27, 2009 #5
    So if I rationalize it, to remove the square roots, can I equate the 2? Then use x = -2/7?

7. Sep 27, 2009 #6
    I rationalized it:

[tex] \frac {x-2 \sqrt {7x+2} + x-2\sqrt{6x+4}}{x-2}[/tex]

[tex] \sqrt {7x+2} + x-2\sqrt{6x+4} = k [/tex]

Substituting x=2, I get k=4.

8. Sep 28, 2009 #7
    k isn't 4. After multiplying by the conjugate of the denominator and simplifying, the x-2 should cancel; looks like you didn't distribute correctly.

[tex]\frac{x - 2}{\sqrt{7x + 2} - \sqrt{6x + 4}} * \frac{\sqrt{7x + 2} + \sqrt{6x + 4}}{\sqrt{7x + 2} + \sqrt{6x + 4}} = \frac{(x - 2)(\sqrt{7x + 2} + \sqrt{6x + 4})}{7x + 2 - (6x + 4)} = \frac{(x - 2)(\sqrt{7x + 2} + \sqrt{6x + 4})}{x - 2}[/tex]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  9. Sep 28, 2009 #8
    Ohhh, you don't multiply the x-2 in to the conjugate? I understand. I got the x-2 on both the top and bottom, but I multiplied through. I see what I did wrong, thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook