1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archived Piecewise Potential Function

1. Feb 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider reflection from a step potential of height v-knot with E> v-knot, but now with an infinitely high wall added at a distance a from the step.

infinity < x < 0 => v(x) = 0
    0≤ x≤ a => v = vknot
    x=a => v= infinity

Solve the Schroedinger equation to find ψ(x) for x< 0 and 0 ≤ x ≤ a, solution should contain only one unknown constant.

2. Relevant equations

T-Independent Schrodinger EQ

General forms of a wave function.

3. The attempt at a solution

Is it correct to first assume that all constants are physically possible in both equations? You'll have a reflection and transmission at the first finite barrier, and a reflection (always) at the infinite barrier. That means there are four constants in both equations. If not, can you explain why?

I should have

ψ_1 = A1 cos (k1*x) + B1 sin(k1*x) (or the respective complex exponentials)
    ψ_2= A2 cos(k2*x) + B2 sin(k2*x) (this is for the region 0≤x≤a

When I look at the three boundary conditions,

1. ψ_1(0_ = ψ_2(0)

2. dψ_1/dx (0) = dψ_2/dx (0)

3. ψ_2(a) = 0

I get a complicated algebraic relation between the constants that does not simplify.

So I assume I must get rid of one of the constants, but I'm unsure which one.

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2016 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Solving the SE equation in the two regions, we get
    \begin{align*}
    \psi_1(x) &= Ae^{ik_1x}+B^{-ik_1x} \\
    \psi_2(x) &= C\sin[k_2(x-a)] + D\cos[k_2(x-a)]
    \end{align*} where ##k_1^2 = \frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}## and ##k_2^2=\frac{2m(E-V_0)}{\hbar^2}##.

From ##\psi(a)=0##, it follows that ##D=0##. (Writing ##\psi_2## in terms of ##x-a## instead of just ##x## simplifies the algebra.) Continuity of the wave function and its derivative at ##x=0## yields
    \begin{align*}
    A + B &= -C \sin k_2 a \\
    ik_1 A - ik_1 B &= C k_2 \cos k_2 a.
    \end{align*} Since ##e^{ik_1x}## represents the incident wave, let's choose to solve for the other two constants in terms of ##A##. Applying Cramer's rule to the system
    \begin{align*}
    B + C \sin k_2 a &= -A \\
    B + C \left(\frac{k_2}{ik_1}\right) \cos k_2 a &= A,
    \end{align*}we get
    $$B = \frac
    {\begin{vmatrix} -A & \sin k_2 a \\ A & \left(\frac{k_2}{ik_1}\right) \cos k_2 a \end{vmatrix}}
    {\begin{vmatrix} 1 & \sin k_2 a \\ 1 & \left(\frac{k_2}{ik_1}\right) \cos k_2 a \end{vmatrix}}
    = A \frac{ \sin k_2 a - i\left(\frac{k_2}{k_1}\right) \cos k_2 a}{\sin k_2 a + i\left(\frac{k_2}{k_1}\right) \cos k_2 a} \\
    C = \frac
    {\begin{vmatrix} 1 & -A \\ 1 & A \end{vmatrix}}
    {\begin{vmatrix} 1 & \sin k_2 a \\ 1 & \left(\frac{k_2}{ik_1}\right) \cos k_2 a \end{vmatrix}}
    = -A \frac{2}{\sin k_2 a + i\left(\frac{k_2}{k_1}\right) \cos k_2 a}.$$
    After doing a problem like this, it's good to sanity-check your answers. For example, you can show that ##\lvert B/A \rvert^2 = 1##, which indicates that particle is always reflected, as you'd expect because of the infinite potential. A good idea would also be to check what happens when ##V_0=0##. There should be no reflection at ##x=0##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted