1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Piecewsie Integral

1. Oct 5, 2005 #1
    Hi from a newbie.

I have an apparently simple problem, but could use some guidance on how to do it.

I have the following function:

[tex]F(x)=\int^{x}_{0}f(t)dt,\ 0\leq x\leq3[/tex]

where [tex]f(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{lll}1,&\mbox{ if }0\leq x<1\\2-x,&\mbox{ if }1\leq x<2\\0,&\mbox{ if }2\leq x\leq 3\end{array}\right[/tex]

Is it as simple as:

[tex]F(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{lll}x,&\mbox{ if }0\leq x<1\\2x-\frac{x^2}{2},&\mbox{ if }1\leq x<2\\0,&\mbox{ if }2\leq x\leq 3\end{array}\right[/tex]

A plot of F(x) for the interval would show discontinuities at x=1 and x=2.

Thanks for your help.

Bailey

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, it's a little more complicated than that. For instace when you integrated over the second interval you treated it as follows:

[tex]\int_0^x(2-x)dx[/tex]

However, [itex]F(x)[/itex] is not defined as [itex]2-x[/itex] for [itex]0\leq x<1[/itex], so it is not correct to start integrating that piece of the function at [itex]x=0[/itex]. There is a similar problem with the third interval.

4. Oct 5, 2005 #3
    Okay...I can see I'm way off.

What would be the proper steps to take to find F(x) knowing the integral is from 0 to x?

Thanks for helping.

Bailey

5. Oct 5, 2005 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The integral of your first piece is OK. You want to integrate it on the interval [0,x].

But your second and third pieces need to be integrated over [1,x] and [2,x], respectively.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  6. Oct 5, 2005 #5

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, the third piece is OK too, but only because it is zero.

7. Oct 5, 2005 #6
    So, integrating for each piece over the respective intervals would yield a plot like the one attached, for 0 <= x <= 3.

Is that correct, with the discontinuities at x = 1 and x = 2?

Attached Files:

8. Oct 6, 2005 #7
    Good morning all.

Just want to find out if the graph above is correct.

Bailey

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?