Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pier 34 Sentencing Hearing

1. Jun 22, 2007 #1

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I update this story from time to time as it is a good ethics case study for engineers. The owners of the club at Pier 34 plead guilty/no contenst to involuntary manslaughter and their sentencing hearing began today.

I see on virtually a daily basis, in my job and in life, people who don't take their responsibilities seriously enough and fail to consider the ramifications of their actions/inactions. These guys, I suspect, are going to spend a long time in jail because of it.

http://www.nbc10.com/news/13552211/detail.html?dl=headlineclick

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2007 #2

Art

Seems not -
    Must have a lot of money / influential friends.

4. Jun 24, 2007 #3

russ_watters

The judge went easy on them because they are old. Personally, I don't consider that to be a good reason to let people get away with murder.

5. Jun 24, 2007 #4
    That was such a horrid fire. As the law goes, involuntary manslaughter would be the only way to charge them. Now that that is done, the civil law sutes can begin.

6. Jun 24, 2007 #5
    just out of curiosity what do you think it would have accomplished to sentence to 15? or life? or death? the people are dead, ruining two more lives does what?

or do you think this it would have acted as a deterrant?

7. Jun 24, 2007 #6

russ_watters

Wrong night club. This one collapsed into the Delaware River and killed 4 people.

8. Jun 24, 2007 #7

russ_watters

That argument applies to most crimes and implies that we shouldn't punish people for crimes. Punishment isn't just about getting people off the street, it is about punishing them.
    I do. Like I said in the OP, people should take their actions more seriously. There are a lot of club owners (and others) who play Russian Roulette with the safety of their patrons - whether by opening up a club that is essentially guaranteed to collapse or chaining fire exits so they can't escape a fire.

I can't begin to imagine what was on the minds of these owners when they opened the club that night, but they were told this would happen - that makes it worse than Russian Roulette. They knew the chamber they got had a bullet in it and pulled the trigger anyway. That's like opening up a club that is already on fire.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  9. Jul 18, 2007 #8
    The engineers should win awards

You know your a great engineer when.........

You can predict when a structure is going to fall naturally within a relative standard deviation of.....6 sigma

Engineering sure has come a long way for us grad students! I could probably have come as close if I knew we were planning to blow it up that evening :cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?