1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Piezoelectric and minimum dimensions of an actuator beam?

1. Nov 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We want to build a micro-positioning system that produces a maximum travel of
    5 μm by using a piezoelectric linear actuator beam with a square cross section (a^2) and length (l) as shown below. A piezoelectric material with piezoelectric
    coefficients d13 = -2.0×10-8, d33 = 5.3×10-8, d24 = 3.7 ×10-8 and d25 = 4.1 ×10-8
    cm/V ( Si = djiEj ) and a dielectric strength of 106 V/cm is used.

For a maximum power supply voltage of 110 V and a safety parameter of 1.5,
    find the minimum dimensions of the beam (a and l). Explain which direction
    for electric field is the most effective for creating the required linear travel and
    how we should place electrodes to apply such field to the actuator beam.

2. Relevant equations

S= Dij Ei,

3. The attempt at a solution
    I wrote the piezoelectric matrix (s1... s6) = YT + ( d12.... d15,... d51... d55), however I am not sure what to do with the dielectric strength and what equations I would go about doing this...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted