Piezoelectric components

In summary, a person is seeking help for their friend who is building a homemade bass guitar and wants to improve the sound using piezoelectric components. The person is unsure if this is possible and is seeking advice. It is mentioned that ceramic would be a better and more cost-effective option, and that a coupling system would be needed to cancel out room noise. It is also noted that magnetic pickups are commonly used in guitars.
Albondiga
Hi everyone!
First of all I would like to say that my native language is not english, so I will try to explain myself as good as I can
This is my first thread in which I would like to ask a question a friend of mine asked to me, hoping he could get some answer from me, but I couldn't give him a good result, so that is why I'm looking for others help :rolleyes:

So, my friend is building a homemade bass guitar, and he often asks me questions about electric components to make his instrument sound better, and a few days ago he came with some ideas from an article he read about piezoelectric components, and wanted to know if he could make his instrument sound with this kind of component.

I talked him about the normal use of this materials such as ceramics, which are used in instruments with a resonance box. Ej: upright bass

But he had the idea to make an about 10x2 cm rectangular piece of quartz to use it as a pickup,
(a pickup in a bass looks like this http://citron-guitars.com/cms/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/pickup_bassJ4.jpg and is a simple use of magnets that are affected by the vibration of the metal strings of the instruments )

After a little research in the internet I found out some stuff about this piezoelectricty concept, but anyway I don't know if this is possible and neither I know what to answer him :frown:

So: Would it be possible to make a string instrument(in this case the bass guitar) sound out of the catchment of the vibration that the strings make in the air with a "piece" of quartz/ceramic?

I've posted this thread in Earth threads space because I don't know where to post it exactly

Hope you can help me out!

Thank you in advance!:biggrin:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Yes, it is possible. But why would you want to do it?

Albondiga said:
But he had the idea to make an about 10x2 cm rectangular piece of quartz to use it as a pickup,
Ceramic would have bigger response and a lower cost than quartz. But there is no need for such a big pickup.

Your pickup transducer needs to be sensitive to the string movement and deaf to room noise. A large single transducer will also pick up other noise in the room, which will then feedback around the amplifier system.

To use piezoelectric transducers you must find a coupling system couples to the string while cancelling room noise.

As Baluncore mentions, "To use piezoelectric transducers you must find a coupling system couples to the string ...".

I'm thinking that any mechanical coupling would surely dampen the string vibration too much.

tech2intropiezotrans08.gif

http://www.piezo.com/tech2intropiezotrans.html

I certainly do not advocate close mechanical coupling, or a piezo microphone nearby.
There are good reasons why magnetic pickups are used.

String vibration is a 2D thing, often with a rotation between the modes.
How might the orientation of piezo sensors change the sound recovered?

Baluncore said:
I certainly do not advocate close mechanical coupling, or a piezo microphone nearby.
Whether or not you personally like them, you can buy guitars with both types of pickup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtssqAl07i0
http://www.thomann.de/gb/music_man_john_petrucci_7_p_bk.htm

Baluncore said:
There are good reasons why magnetic pickups are used.
Just to make sure, my comment was intended for the OP as I totally agreed with you.

AlephZero said:
Whether or not you personally like them, you can buy guitars with both types of pickup.
Dang. I should have realized electric guitars have evolved since the little bands I played in back in the '70s.

1. What is a piezoelectric component?

A piezoelectric component is a type of material that can generate an electric charge in response to mechanical stress or pressure. This phenomenon is known as the piezoelectric effect.

2. How do piezoelectric components work?

Piezoelectric components work by converting mechanical energy into electrical energy. When a mechanical force is applied to the component, it creates a displacement of ions within the material, resulting in a separation of positive and negative charges and the generation of an electric field.

3. What are some common applications of piezoelectric components?

Piezoelectric components have a wide range of applications, including sensors, actuators, energy harvesters, and transducers. They are commonly used in medical devices, such as ultrasound machines, as well as in industrial and consumer electronics, such as speakers and pressure sensors.

4. What are the advantages of using piezoelectric components?

One of the main advantages of piezoelectric components is their high sensitivity and precision. They can produce a strong electrical signal in response to even small amounts of mechanical stress, making them ideal for use in sensors and other precision devices. They are also very durable and can operate in a wide range of temperatures and environments.

5. Are there any limitations to using piezoelectric components?

One limitation of piezoelectric components is their relatively low output voltage, which can limit their use in certain applications. They also require a power source to apply the mechanical stress in order to produce an electric charge, which may not be suitable for all situations. Additionally, piezoelectric materials can be expensive and difficult to manufacture, making them less accessible for some industries.