Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Piezoelectric effect

1. Jul 16, 2014 #1
    From what I understand the Piezoelectric effect occurs when there is a change in dipole moment. If a crystal was to be accelerated along the x direction then the crystal will undergo a length contraction. My question is, would this not cause a change in dipole moment from an outside observer and hence create an effect analogousness to the piezoelectric effect?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2014 #2
    I think your understanding of piezoelectric is not accurate. Piezoelectric is caused by an alignment of spontaneous dipoles. Most crystals have not spontaneous dipoles. For example, if you squeeze rocksalt, the net dipole in the material is still zero. Check out wikipedia for getting a basic understanding.

4. Oct 28, 2014 #3

Mentz114

Gold Member

Supposing we did have such a crystal and it was wired to a sensitive voltmeter. We could ask a inertially passing lab to look at the voltmeter readout as they fly by. Obviously everyone sees the same reading - zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook