1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Piezoelectric strips?

1. Jul 15, 2009 #1
    I'm wanting to do some experiments with creating electricity from piezoelectric materials but I'm not sure where I can buy some. I'm looking for some materials that are easily bendable like paper and preferably cheap as I have several experiments I'd like to try.

If anyone knows a good material and source to buy it, I'd love to hear it! Thanks in advanced!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2009 #2
    Not sure if this would help, but we bought piezo actuators from http://www.faceinternational.com/. If they don't have anything that may help you, they might be able to recommend another source.

4. Jul 16, 2009 #3
    Goodfellow will sell you polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) which is a very thin piezoelectric film. You can cut small disks with a hole punch, place it in a similar hole in an insulating material and use small strips of conductive copper tape on either side of the disk to form a simple sensor or generator. When you apply a dynamic stress to the sensor, you'll generate a charge between the two ends of the circuit.

If you want a bit more information let me know and I can send you a paper describing it, or more usefully I can draw you a diagram of how I made mine.

5. Jul 17, 2009 #4
    could this PVDF film be of the order of 100µm thin? is it easily bondable with glass?

6. Jul 17, 2009 #5
    I used metallised 25 µm biaxial sheet. I don't know about bonding with glass, never tried. I used Mylar PET sheet of the same thickness as an insulating and protective substrate. That way I ended up with a very thin, flexible load cell.

7. Oct 14, 2011 #6
    @timmay....can u pls send me the exact schematic daig. showing the process of ur piezo electric strip....and i would be gratefull if u would let me know wer did u buy those...plsssss.....and if possible pls do mail it to me @ 94yashwanth@gmail.com

8. Dec 20, 2011 #7
    @timmay....Could you please send me a paper describing your setup to csr_groups@yahoo.com? I was working on a design to generate electricity and wanted to try this method as well.

Regards,
    CSR

9. Dec 20, 2011 #8
    Also @ timmay Hi, i'm also interested in your paper, perhaps it's also possible to send it to me: jurnhaeghebaert@msn.com . I'm working on a new way to count pedestrians with piezomaterial and i'm looking to make it generate it's own electricity, so this method could be usefull to me to.
    Greetz
    Jurn

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook