How does quartz produce a charge when a force is applied?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of piezoelectric properties of quartz and the difficulty in understanding how it produces a charge when a force is applied. The suggestion is made to look in a mineralogy textbook for more information, and Carl mentions Endevco's research on accelerometers that use the piezoelectric effect. A link to a technical paper is also provided.
Turner_8t8
I'm doing a presentation on the physical properties of quartz for my Physics a-level and mostly on its piezoelectric properties but I am having trouble finding out exactly it produces a charge when a force is applied upon it. Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated, also any other useful information about quartz especially any numerrical data would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
Try looking in a textbook on mineralogy. It turns out that only crystals that lack certain symmetries are piezoelectric. A reasonable mineralogy textbook will discuss it.

And your post really belongs over in the homework section.

Carl

Endevco has some great research on accelerometers that use of piezoelectric effect. Here is a basic overview paper. I think it can help. Let me know if the link doesn't get you directly to it. Their site requires a registration.

http://64.106.253.12/PDFs/technical-papers/TP244.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

What is piezoelectricity?

Piezoelectricity is the ability of certain materials, such as quartz, to generate an electric charge when subjected to mechanical stress. This means that when pressure or force is applied to the material, it will create an electric voltage.

How does piezoelectricity work in quartz?

In quartz, piezoelectricity is caused by the unique arrangement of atoms within the crystal structure. When the crystal is deformed, the atoms are displaced, creating a separation of positive and negative charges, thus generating an electric field.

What are the practical applications of piezoelectricity in quartz?

Piezoelectricity in quartz has a wide range of applications, including sensors, actuators, and oscillators. It is also commonly used in electronic devices, such as watches, radios, and ultrasound machines.

Is piezoelectricity in quartz reversible?

Yes, piezoelectricity in quartz is reversible. This means that when the mechanical stress is removed, the crystal will return to its original shape and the electric charge will disappear.

Can piezoelectricity in quartz be enhanced?

Yes, piezoelectricity in quartz can be enhanced through the process of poling, in which an electric field is applied to the crystal to align the atoms in a specific direction. This can increase the efficiency and sensitivity of the material.