Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pig of a job

1. Jul 3, 2006 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I have just spent two hours in the bowels of a machine grinding a huge bearing off and i am now black from head to toe, i have the taste of grinding dust i can not get rid of and i smell :yuck:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2006 #2
    :approve: Excillent. You have done your manly deed for the day, now have a miller lite........Man Laws

http://www.millerlite.com/commercials.do

You poke it, you own it!

AHhahha watch the "High Five Video" ......"you mean I cant do this!"

Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  4. Jul 3, 2006 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Shower using Tide laundry detergent and gargle with Listerine, or just drink Bacardi 151.

5. Jul 4, 2006 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Been there, done that - and yeah - the taste stays awhile. :yuck: Back then, I had to get undressed outside the house/apartment, because the clothes were infiltrated with dust, and then I had to hose off before going inside and taking a shower.

It helps to wear a filter mask - you were wearing one right?

6. Jul 4, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tide works really well. In my step-dad's "grease monkey" days, that's what he used to shower.

7. Jul 4, 2006 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I think I used dish detergent - like Lemon Pledge. :biggrin:

There was also 'Lava' with pumice - good for the deep grime. Of course, it would remove the outer layer of skin too. :biggrin:

And we used something called 'Goop', particularly if the grime was a mixture of grease and metal dust.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2006
  8. Jul 4, 2006 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I never thought Lava was very good. Someone recommended it once, and we tried it, and it couldn't even get the light coating of grease off my hands from a day assisting in the garage, let alone the heavy coating of grease my step-dad was covered in. I don't think I've ever tried Goop, but I hear it's good. Not sure you'd want to shower in it though. I'd think it's better for hands than a whole body. Tide was especially good for shampooing with.

9. Jul 4, 2006 #8
    Orange Goop, still works well. And leaves you smelling soooooo good. And the taste in your mouth? Isn't really in your mouth, its in your nose/sinus.
    {pours beer into palm} here, sniff this.

10. Jul 4, 2006 #9

wolram

Gold Member

We have this supergel, it contains surfactants, citrus oil and polymer beads, it leaves skin feeling dry and rough, which is not good for an artisan
    when performing mechanical miracles as i do ever day. :rofl:

11. Jul 4, 2006 #10

wolram

Gold Member

Licks hands :smile:

12. Jul 4, 2006 #11

Danger

Gold Member

You're not supposed to chew through it, you great flying lunatic! That's what tools are for. :rolleyes:

I've used Luster Sheen, Orange, you name it. And believe me, powdered graphite mixed with grease is a lot worse than just grease. Also, I've had liquid latex and silicon sealant on my skin and in my hair from Hallowe'en makeup. Nothing, but nothing, works as well as Sunlight liquid dish detergent. Palmolive is a close runner-up.

13. Jul 4, 2006 #12

wolram

Gold Member

These words could only have come from Danger :smile: but wait what about the expanding foam :confused:

14. Jul 4, 2006 #13

Danger

Gold Member

Although I've given it some thought, expanding foam is not flexible enough for makeup applications. It's nothing like foam latex, which I don't use because of the high failure rate of the substance. I don't have the luxury of experimenting several times to get the right effect. I've considered trying to make my own foam latex from scratch, but haven't yet attempted it. Given the cost of the base materials, I'm not sure that I want to waste enough of it to come up with the proper latex/surfactant/aerating ratios.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?