Piggot type generator, Magnets

In summary, the speaker is back in school after decades away and is taking a class on alternative energy, specifically wind power. They are interested in building their own wind turbine and are considering buying used parts on eBay to save money. They are seeking advice on the effectiveness of different types of magnets and whether a smaller magnet will work with the recommended coil size. The speaker plans to use cheaper magnets and more windings to generate voltage at lower RPMs. They reference a tutorial by Hugh Piggot as the basis for their project.
vadslram
I'm back in school after decades away and taking alternative energy .. just because it was interesting.
In the wind power class we talked about Hugh Piggot and the home brew HAWTs he makes and teaches. That gave me the bug to see if I can do it. I'm pretty sure I can buy a used turbine on EBay for cheaper, but that's not the point.

My question for the brains here is:
Will a N52 set of magnets generate enough extra to offset the costs vs a N50 or less.
It seems like a 50 x 20x 3 N52 runs around 10 bucks a piece but the same size N35s are around a dollar. I was tempted to get 24 of each and see the difference but $240 seems like a more expensive hobby question then I want to play with.

Also he recommends the 50mm magnets and the coils are wound to match. If I go with a smaller magnet with the same coil will it work at all or wind the coils smaller will it not generate at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
vadslram said:
My question for the brains here is:
Will a N52 set of magnets generate enough extra to offset the costs vs a N50 or less.
It seems like a 50 x 20x 3 N52 runs around 10 bucks a piece but the same size N35s are around a dollar. I was tempted to get 24 of each and see the difference but $240 seems like a more expensive hobby question then I want to play with.

your question is about the magnetic properties of your proposed magnets
a link to their datasheets would be the first step toward an answer.

That said, the "how to " article you linked is best one I've seen.

What is a Piggot type generator?

A Piggot type generator is a type of electric generator that uses a permanent magnet rotor and a stator with fixed coils to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. It is named after its inventor, William Piggot.

How does a Piggot type generator work?

A Piggot type generator works by rotating a permanent magnet rotor inside a stator with fixed coils. As the rotor turns, it creates a magnetic field that induces an electric current in the coils of the stator, producing electricity.

What are the benefits of using magnets in a generator?

Using magnets in a generator eliminates the need for a separate power source, such as a battery, to create a magnetic field. This makes the generator more efficient and reduces maintenance needs.

Are there any disadvantages to using magnets in a generator?

One potential disadvantage is that permanent magnets can lose their magnetization over time, which can reduce the efficiency of the generator. However, advances in magnet technology have helped to mitigate this issue.

What are some common applications of Piggot type generators?

Piggot type generators are commonly used in small-scale renewable energy systems, such as wind or hydro turbines. They are also used in some electric vehicles and portable power systems.