Calculating Average Force Exerted on Pile Driver by I-Beam

• Thread starter sylavel
  • Start date
In summary: You would need to calculate the velocity of the pile driver before it hits the beam, and then use the change in velocity and distance to calculate the average force exerted by the beam.In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude of the average force exerted by a steel I-beam on a 2580 kg pile driver as it is brought to rest after falling 2.52 m and being driven 5.58 cm into the ground. Using the equation F=ma, the velocity of the pile driver before hitting the beam needs to be calculated in order to determine the change in velocity and distance, which will then give the average force exerted by the beam.
sylavel

Homework Statement

A 2580 kg pile driver is used to drive a steel I-Beam into the ground. The pile driver falls 2.52 m before contacting the beam, and it drives the beam 5.58 cm into the ground before coming to rest.
Find the magnitude of the average force for the beam exerts on the pile driver while the pile driver is brought to rest.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so looking at this problem the first thing that came to my head is that i need to find the proper force and divide in by the 5.58 cm converted to meters to get the magnitude of force.
So i plugged in F=ma F=(2580)9.8
giving me 25284
but I am not seeing where the 2.52 meters should come into play.

Physics news on Phys.org
f=ma is correct but acceleration also means slowing down as well as speeding up.
You are looking for the force needed to slow the pile driver from whatever speed it was doing qwhen it hits to zero in a distance of 5.58cm.

okay so i need to take the negative acceleration into play that makes sense.
so do i first need to first the velocity of the pile driver while it is falling 2.52 meters?

Yes and yes

1. What is the Pile Driver I-Beam Problem?

The Pile Driver I-Beam Problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the maximum stress on an I-beam caused by the impact of a pile driver. It is commonly used in civil engineering and construction to determine the strength and durability of structures.

2. How is the maximum stress on the I-beam calculated?

The maximum stress on the I-beam can be calculated using the formula: stress = force/area. In the Pile Driver I-Beam Problem, the force is the impact force of the pile driver and the area is the cross-sectional area of the I-beam.

3. What factors can affect the maximum stress on the I-beam?

The maximum stress on the I-beam can be affected by various factors such as the force of the pile driver, the weight and velocity of the pile, and the properties of the I-beam material. Other factors include the angle of impact, the condition and alignment of the I-beam, and the type of soil or foundation supporting the I-beam.

4. How is the Pile Driver I-Beam Problem used in real-life applications?

The Pile Driver I-Beam Problem is used in real-life applications in the construction and design of buildings, bridges, and other structures. It helps engineers and architects determine the appropriate size and strength of I-beams to withstand the impact of pile drivers and other heavy loads.

5. Are there any limitations to the Pile Driver I-Beam Problem?

Yes, there are some limitations to the Pile Driver I-Beam Problem. It is a simplified model that does not take into account all the complex factors and variables that may affect the maximum stress on an I-beam in a real-life situation. Additionally, it assumes the I-beam is perfectly supported and does not consider any potential weaknesses or imperfections in the beam.