Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pilot commits suicide by crashing plane

1. Feb 18, 2010 #1
    Holy hell. I am not sure if you were aware of this but here is a link.

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/austin-tx-crashed-pilots-suicide-note" [Broken]

or

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/texas_pilot_suicide_note_NVPrf5Kte6XBifK17gX2xH" [Broken]

or

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/02/18/national/main6220400.shtml"

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2010 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like he let himself be led to believe that as an individual, he could take advantage of tax laws that he was not eligible for. Sounds like if he had put all of that time, money, and effort into speaking with a legitimate tax lawyer that knew what applied to his particular case, he wouldn't have gotten into trouble with the IRS.

I have no pity on people that ignore the rules they don't like and listen, not to professionals, but crackpots that will tell them what they want to hear.

I hope no one was injured by his act of violence. I haven't read about the damage he did.

4. Feb 18, 2010 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Terrible. A lesson that any lunatic can use an airplane to perform an act of terrorism.

5. Feb 19, 2010 #4

Borek

I remember sitting through this class much earlier.

6. Feb 19, 2010 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And you paid attention! :wink:

7. Feb 19, 2010 #6
    The man was living in a fantasy world.

Paragraph one: "The communist creed: From each according to his ability, to each according to his need."

Paragraph two: "The capitalist creed: From each according to his gullibility, to each according to his greed."

Re the non-realization of paragraph one: See paragraph two, part two. Obviously he didn't read the footnotes on the foibles and stupidity of raising paragraph one to lofty worshipfulness. Otherwise he may not acted in accorance with paragraph two, part two: greed.

8. Feb 19, 2010 #7
    heh - I live 4 miles away from the IRS building. I got some sweet photos, saw it smolder a bit and went about my day as normal

9. Feb 20, 2010 #8
    Any lunatic can also use a car or a gun or a bomb to perform an act of terrorism.

10. Feb 20, 2010 #9
    It sounds like he felt he should have been eligible to take advantage of the same tax laws that others were able to take advantage of. I can think of no reason why something like the Catholic Church should be tax exempt with all the money they make, while some individuals get taxed into poverty.

On a less controversial note, Warren Buffett complained that he pays a lower tax rate than his secretary does.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/money/tax/article1996735.ece

Doesn't that seem unfair to anybody else? I disagree with Stack's methods, but he has a point that there are two classes in the tax code: the rich, and everybody else.

11. Feb 20, 2010 #10

russ_watters

I'd tend to agree with that one.
    Buffett makes most of his money on capital gains (as opposed to a salary), which aren't treated as ordinary income. If a change is to be made in the way capital gains are to be taxed, it should be careful to only tax those who rely on capital gains for their primary source of income. Otherwise, it is a huge punishment those in the middle class who invest as a form of savings, as well as discourages the growing of businesses.

And, of course, there is a third class you missed: those who pay no taxes or for whom taxes pay them. That class has risen to be a little less than half of all taxpayers! To me, that's a much bigger problem than the tiny fraction of the population who pay millions in taxes but by percentage don't pay as much. It is a fallacy that you can soak the rich and give everyone else a break. There just aren't enough of them to soak them any more.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  12. Feb 21, 2010 #11

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook