Pilot Descent Point, Derivatives

In summary: P(t) = (h - (h - bL^2)L^3/L^3)t^3 + (h - hL^3)t^2 + 0tIn summary, to find a cubic polynomial that satisfies the given conditions, you will need to use the information provided in (i), (ii), and (iii). By setting up and solving a system of equations, you can determine the values of the coefficients a, b, and c, which can then be substituted back into the original polynomial equation. I hope this helps. Good luck with your assignment!
brembo

Homework Statement

Where should the pilot start descent? The approach path for an aircraft should satisfy:
i) The cruising altitude is h when descent starts. At horizontal distance.
ii) The pilot must keep a constant horizontal velocity, Vx, throughout the decent.
iii)|αy|≤ K << g
k = constant
g = gravity
|αy| = vertical component of acceleration

1) Find a cubic polynomial
y = P(x) = ax3 + bx2 + cx + d that satisfies:
(i) on P(x) , P'(x) @ x = 0 , x = L

2) Use (i) , (ii) to show:
(6hVx2) / L2 ≤ k

Homework Equations

P(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d
(6hVx^2) / L^2 ≤ k

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to conclude that:

y(0) = P(0) = d = 0 → P(x) = ax3 + bx2 + cx
And @ x = L : P(L) = aL3 + bL2 + cL = y(L) = h

Thats all I was able to get so far. I am stuck. If you guys need anymore info on the question let me know and ill do my best to help out

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It seems that you are on the right track in finding a cubic polynomial that satisfies the given conditions. However, to solve for the coefficients a, b, and c, we need to use the information provided in (ii) and (iii).

First, let's rewrite P(x) as a function of time, t, instead of distance, x. We can do this by using the constant horizontal velocity, Vx, as follows:

P(t) = at^3 + bt^2 + ct

Next, let's consider the vertical component of acceleration, αy, which is given by:

αy = d^2y/dt^2 = 2at + b

Since we want |αy|≤K, we can set up the following inequality:

- K ≤ αy ≤ K

- K ≤ 2at + b ≤ K

- K - 2at ≤ b ≤ K + 2at

Now, we can use this inequality to solve for the coefficients a, b, and c. Substituting t = 0 and t = L into P(t) and using the given information, we can set up the following system of equations:

P(0) = 0 = c

P(L) = h = aL^3 + bL^2

K - 2a(0)t ≤ b ≤ K + 2a(0)t

K - 2aLt ≤ b ≤ K + 2aLt

Using the first two equations, we can solve for a and b in terms of L and h:

a = (h - bL^2)/L^3

b = h - aL^3

Substituting these values into the third equation, we get:

K - 2(h - aL^3)Lt/L^3 ≤ b ≤ K + 2(h - aL^3)Lt/L^3

K - 2(h - (h - bL^2)L^3/L^3)Lt/L^3 ≤ b ≤ K + 2(h - (h - bL^2)L^3/L^3)Lt/L^3

K - 2hLt/L^2 ≤ b ≤ K + 2hLt/L^2

Now, we can substitute these values for a, b, and c back into our original polynomial equation P

1. What is a Pilot Descent Point (PDP)?

A Pilot Descent Point (PDP) is a predetermined point along an aircraft's flight path where the descent towards the destination airport begins. It is typically calculated based on factors such as the aircraft's speed, altitude, and distance from the destination airport.

2. How are derivatives used in determining the PDP?

Derivatives, such as the aircraft's velocity and altitude, are used in mathematical equations to calculate the PDP. These equations take into account the aircraft's current position, speed, and rate of descent to determine the optimal point to begin the descent towards the destination airport.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the PDP calculation?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of the PDP calculation, including changes in wind speed and direction, changes in aircraft weight, and changes in air traffic control instructions. Pilots must constantly monitor these factors and make adjustments to maintain the desired descent profile.

4. How does the PDP affect the overall flight plan?

The PDP is a critical component of the overall flight plan as it determines the starting point for the descent towards the destination airport. It helps pilots to maintain a safe and efficient descent profile, reducing the risk of overshooting the runway or having to make last-minute adjustments.

5. Can the PDP be adjusted during the flight?

Yes, the PDP can be adjusted during the flight if necessary. Factors such as changes in weather conditions or air traffic control instructions may require the pilot to recalculate the PDP and make adjustments to the descent profile. However, these adjustments should be made carefully to ensure the safety and efficiency of the flight.