1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pin-jointed framework

1. Apr 23, 2013 #1
    ƩFx = 0
    ƩFy = 0
    ƩMoments about a point = 0

Ay + By - 2KN = 0

Momments about A = -(2KN * 2.4) + 1*ReactionC = 0
    -4.8KN = reactionC

Sub into first eq

Ay +(-4.8) -2 = 0
    Ay = 6.8

To find out the reaction in member AB

I have

6.8 - Tab Cos(tan-10.8/1) = 0
    Tab = 6.8/Cos(tan-10.8/1) = 8.738

I have the answer to be 2.56

Attached Files:

• t11.jpg
      t11.jpg
      File size:
      14.1 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2013 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What about the horizontal component of the reaction force at C? What can you say about the horiz and vert components of the reaction force at A?

4. Apr 23, 2013 #3
    The x and y at A should equal the support AB
    The x values for A and C i am unsure how to work out, i have only dealt with problems where one support is a roller support

5. Apr 23, 2013 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You mean the vector sum of the x and y components of the reaction force at A should be equal in magnitude to the force in member AB?
    Truss members are 2 force members. Since no other member besides AB frame into support A, then the total resultant reaction force at support A must be in the direction of member AB.

I note that you have posted this question in the engineering section also. You should probably respond in that thread instead of this one, and avoid double posting in the future thanks.

6. Apr 23, 2013 #5
    If the reaction force at A is equal to the magnitude of vector AB, then i have an answer of 6.8KN, but the answer is 2.56KN can you point out the mistake in my working

7. Apr 23, 2013 #6

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The reaction force at A acts in the direction of member AB. Sum moments about C to solve for it or its components.

8. Apr 23, 2013 #7
    Ok i realise where my confusion was on this problem thanks for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted