Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pin-screen Matrix feedback

1. Dec 4, 2014 #1
    Hi,
    This is kind of a hobbyist project or something along those lines.
    I am trying to build a pin-screen
    article-2539962-1AAFD4DD00000578-400_306x317.jpg
    Similar to that, or with whatever conifguration of pins. But I want it to provide electrical feedback so that I can map out where each pin is on a Z-position (their X-Y coordinates are fixed).

I wanted to know if there is a product like this already in the market and if anyone knows if it has a name?

or, how would you build this?
    I was thinking of having a board and a wire on each pin and just measure the resistance between the wire and the board (the more submerged the pin, the less resistance). But I'm not sure if this would be the most efficient method. I dont hink I'm the first person to think this up so Im wondering if someone already figured out a way to do this?

My goal:

For example. It could be used as a 3D Scanner for physical objects (A very crappy one i know)
    or a drawer for fine-art or something.
    or just a brain teaser to kill time while building it =,=

what do you guys think? how would this be a viable project?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Dec 17, 2014 #3
    Ok, I think I polished my question. I'll make it simple and quick.
    Can someone tell me what type of sensor I can use to measure distance traveled by a pin?

Look at the drawing, I hope its clear.

Theproblem.png

5. Dec 17, 2014 #4

Averagesupernova

Gold Member

I guess it depends on how much resolution you want on each pin. An effective approach would be an XY matrix with laser LEDs and phototransistors. Adding several layers of these would gain resolution but if you want even 8 bit resolution this approach is already not feasible. Interesting project BTW. Keep us posted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook