Pin-screen Matrix feedback

In summary, the conversation is about building a pin-screen with electrical feedback to map out the Z-position of each pin. The speaker is wondering if there is a similar product on the market and how to efficiently build it. They suggest using a board and wire on each pin to measure the resistance, but are open to other suggestions. They also discuss potential uses for the pin-screen and ask for input on the project.
_Bd_
Hi,
This is kind of a hobbyist project or something along those lines.
I am trying to build a pin-screen
article-2539962-1AAFD4DD00000578-400_306x317.jpg

Similar to that, or with whatever conifguration of pins. But I want it to provide electrical feedback so that I can map out where each pin is on a Z-position (their X-Y coordinates are fixed).

I wanted to know if there is a product like this already in the market and if anyone knows if it has a name?

or, how would you build this?
I was thinking of having a board and a wire on each pin and just measure the resistance between the wire and the board (the more submerged the pin, the less resistance). But I'm not sure if this would be the most efficient method. I don't hink I'm the first person to think this up so I am wondering if someone already figured out a way to do this?My goal:

For example. It could be used as a 3D Scanner for physical objects (A very crappy one i know)
or a drawer for fine-art or something.
or just a brain teaser to kill time while building it =,=

what do you guys think? how would this be a viable project?

Ok, I think I polished my question. I'll make it simple and quick.
Can someone tell me what type of sensor I can use to measure distance traveled by a pin?

Look at the drawing, I hope its clear.

Theproblem.png

I guess it depends on how much resolution you want on each pin. An effective approach would be an XY matrix with laser LEDs and phototransistors. Adding several layers of these would gain resolution but if you want even 8 bit resolution this approach is already not feasible. Interesting project BTW. Keep us posted.

What is "Pin-screen Matrix feedback"?

"Pin-screen Matrix feedback" is a scientific technique used to study the visual perception of tactile stimuli. It involves presenting a grid of pins to the skin and recording the resulting sensations and reactions.

How does "Pin-screen Matrix feedback" work?

The technique works by presenting a grid of pins to the skin, usually using a specially designed device called a "pin-screen matrix." This device has a large number of small pins that can be individually raised or lowered to create different patterns and shapes. The pins are then pressed against the skin and the resulting sensations are recorded and analyzed.

What are the applications of "Pin-screen Matrix feedback"?

One of the main applications of "Pin-screen Matrix feedback" is in the study of tactile perception and sensory processing. It can also be used in rehabilitation for individuals with sensory impairments, as well as in the design of haptic (touch-based) technology and interfaces.

What are the advantages of using "Pin-screen Matrix feedback" in research?

Using "Pin-screen Matrix feedback" allows for precise control over the tactile stimuli presented to participants, making it a valuable tool for studying tactile perception. It is also non-invasive and can be easily adapted for use in different research settings.

Are there any limitations to using "Pin-screen Matrix feedback"?

One limitation of "Pin-screen Matrix feedback" is that it only provides information about tactile perception and does not take into account other sensory modalities such as vision or hearing. Additionally, the results may be influenced by factors such as skin temperature and individual differences in tactile sensitivity.